It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
(female)

caangelxox HB User
What is the difference between ADHD and learning disability?

Are they both the same thing? How do I know if I have ADD or just a learning disability?

Old 12-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: What is the difference between ADHD and learning disability?

There are different kinds of learning disabilities. A common one is dyslexia, which means trouble reading.

ADHD is a neurological difference. It's harder for us to concentrate for any length of time, especially on "boring" things. We get itchy feet sitting down for too long, or fidgit with things a lot. We also tend to forget or misplace items regularly.

What are your issues? Approximately how old are you? Have you been seeing a professional of some type?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
(female)

caangelxox HB User

nope no profressional and my mom does not see a need in seeing a psychiatrist. I don't need one anyway because that is for mental problems and I don't have a mental problem. I am young and old enough to drink and I am in college by the way. I graduated high school in 2004. I don't think I am allowed to mention age on here based on the boards rules.

I have trouble with concentration and reading comprehension and remembering what I read. My mind tends to wonder randomly and I also tend to day dream too. My moods used to be bad (frustraited all the time, nervous talking in front of crowds, nervous to talk on the phone, worry a lot, talk a lot (still do, but in a good mood now and am not annoying like I used to be. people used to always call me annoying. I still can ask a lot of questions though. etc.), but eversince I have been taking a few supplements from iherb, my mood is great. Just the thinking part I am working on. It got somewhat better, but not by much. I really want to get rid of my hesitation. There is no reason to hesitate in softball, school, or anywhere.

The supplements I take for mood and should be for mind as well (but works well for mood) are jarrows PS 100, doctors now l carnitine, now foods l tyrosine, doctors now ginkgo bilboba. I also now take now foods GABA and that helps relaxes me. I also take omega 3 fish oil by natural factors.

my grammer is not very good as you can tell and I mispelled a few words as well.

off of iherb today I bought fish oil with flax oil by natural factors (am going to try this one instead of just the fish oil with omega 3 to see if it works better). My omega 3 fish oil is almost empty. I also bought Source Naturals, Vinpocetine to try. I always go by ratings with everything and if there is no rating, I don't buy.

Last edited by caangelxox; 12-08-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

css1 HB User

like jane said, they are two different issues

ADD, attention defict disorder

imho, the name is misleading, for the most part you have a high level of attention too everything, thus, the brain takes in massive amounts of information all of the time

what happens then is how does the brain process it? that is really a memory issue

for me my story was i was at a doctors office for some serious stuff that 12 other doctors had misdiagnosed, and since this doctor finally gave me a correct diagnosis we ended up hitting it off and became friends, same age, likes dislikes, so one day, after he asks that great questions, "anything else", i mention this and that, he goes into his office and comes out with an ADD book and he says read this

here i was 43 read it, and it was like, heck, that's my life, lol

the thing is though, i have a great memory

so, even though i take int a ton of info, i have a large memory bank, and then with some gifts of intelligence it all works for me

my learning difficulties come in the form of, all directions, and i mean all of them are like chinese to me, yet, if someone shows me, and can answer my 20 questions about this and that, i have the knowledge solid as a rock

so, long story short, like jane says two very seperate issues that do intermingle

the thing with learning disabilities is 30 years ago there was a general acceptance of 3, ADD, dyxlexia, and i forget the other one

now adays, they have discovered and documented another 100

if u are a reader the best book imho is "A Mind At a Time" by dr. levin

this explains how the brain works, and where the learning boog a boos are

hoped that helped
good luck

Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
(female)

caangelxox HB User

do you know of any ingredients that I may be missing to prevent the brain from functioning normally that can help me?

Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 AM   #6
(male)

kumquatt HB User
Cool Re: What is the difference between ADHD and learning disability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caangelxox View Post
do you know of any ingredients that I may be missing to prevent the brain from functioning normally that can help me?
Moon,I don't think you have either one. Your brain just tries to process too much information at once. Just slow it down. You can do it Moon.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
(male)

david017 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by css1 View Post
like jane said, they are two different issues

ADD, attention defict disorder

imho, the name is misleading, for the most part you have a high level of attention too everything, thus, the brain takes in massive amounts of information all of the time

what happens then is how does the brain process it? that is really a memory issue

for me my story was i was at a doctors office for some serious stuff that 12 other doctors had misdiagnosed, and since this doctor finally gave me a correct diagnosis we ended up hitting it off and became friends, same age, likes dislikes, so one day, after he asks that great questions, "anything else", i mention this and that, he goes into his office and comes out with an ADD book and he says read this

here i was 43 read it, and it was like, heck, that's my life, lol

the thing is though, i have a great memory

so, even though i take int a ton of info, i have a large memory bank, and then with some gifts of intelligence it all works for me

my learning difficulties come in the form of, all directions, and i mean all of them are like chinese to me, yet, if someone shows me, and can answer my 20 questions about this and that, i have the knowledge solid as a rock

so, long story short, like jane says two very seperate issues that do intermingle

the thing with learning disabilities is 30 years ago there was a general acceptance of 3, ADD, dyxlexia, and i forget the other one

now adays, they have discovered and documented another 100

if u are a reader the best book imho is "A Mind At a Time" by dr. levin

this explains how the brain works, and where the learning boog a boos are

hoped that helped
good luck

Closed Thread