It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
(female)

pyper80 HB User
Question Math learning disorder

Hello, please bare with me as this is the first time I've been here and I'm not accustomed to the ins and outs yet. I am 44 years old and have always thought I was stupid because I could never learn math. I'm now thinking that I possibly have a learning disorder. I'm going back to school because I was laid off from work. I'm now facing the same problems, but in a bigger way than I did when I was in school. I have to take 3 algebras, the first being pre-algebra and I'm failing it! All through school as a child I never could learn math. I couldn't tell time until I was in my late teens. I sometimes still get it wrong, but not as bad as it used to be. I get my right and left had mixed up frequently (my boyfriend likes to pick on me about that). I have absolutley no sense of direction. I'd get lost in my own back yard if it wasn't so small. I can do very easy basic math, but I never could learn my times tables. I count on my fingers, make dots on paper, can't do fractions or read tape measures. I don't know what to do. I've talked to the counselor at the school I'm attending and my algebra instructor, but I don't think they really think I have a problem. They both think I just need a tutor, well my sister, who by the way is a math whiz, is tutoring me and I still can't get it. I'm so very depressed right now because i have to leave home and go to school and I'm terrified that I'll be called on to go to the board and work a problem. I've done very well in all the other classes I've taken, it's just the question of how on earth am I going to learn how to do this math? I'm unemployeed and don't think I can afford to be tested.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Math learning disorder

Ask the counselor at your school if learning disability testing is available. When my son was at a university, testing was provided free since he was an enrolled student. I wish you well.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
(female)

pyper80 HB User

Thank you. The school does not do testing for learning disorders, but the counselor has sent a letter to the dept of labor in my county to see if there is any testing available to me, since I'm going to school under the Trade Act. I guess I'll have to wait and see, but I got the impression that it could be awhile before I heard anything.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Yes, anytime you're dealing with the government it will take a while. In the meantime, accept any help they will give you. I would suggest you try a tutor other than your sister. Sometimes it's easier for a stranger to get through to us, perhaps with a different method. I wish you well.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
(female)

pyper80 HB User

Are there different methods of study, anything I could do differently to learn? I have lots of those "math made simple" books and a program on my computer to help me with it. All it does is solve my homework problems, but it doesn't explain like I thought it would. Besides, homework doesn't count for grade, the tests do. When I ask my instructor why something is done like it is and he explains, it's like he's speaking a foreign language. How will someone else be able to explain it any better? Thanks for taking the time with me.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

People who teach math or are "math wizards" usually don't really understand why we don't get it To them it's so simple and clear cut but to us it's just "Greek" I suggest you try to learn just enough to pass the class and any tests, by memorization. Don't try to understand why because your brain just doesn't work that way and you'll frustrate yourself. Talk with your intructor after class or make an appointment to discuss the problems you're having and maybe he'll give you a break because he knows you're really trying. One of these days a lightbulb might go off in your head and you'll suddenly "get it". That happened with me with geometry. I just couldn't make sense of it all through school. When I was in my 30's and my son was taking it in school he showed me some of his problems and "ding"......it all suddenly clicked. Too bad I couldn't find my old geometry teacher and tell him I finally understood Take care and I wish you well.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

It is possible that you are struggling with dyslexia, which could explain the difficulty you have with numbers, right and left, directions, etc.

Perhaps you could do a little research on that condition, which many people have to cope with. You might find some clues there, as far as techniques that might help you, resources, strategies.

I agree with the other's that you should be up front with your teacher right at the beginning, as he/she has probably had other students up against the same challenges, and can offer more advice.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
(female)

pyper80 HB User

Thank you. I'll keep trying. At least I know I'm not the only one who has this difficulty. Before a month ago, I never knew there was such a thing as a math learning disorder.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

You certainly are not the only one. We are still learning things everyday about dyslexia and other learning disorders. It is common for students to come up with many coping skills to get through school, but I can see where advanced training would pose new problems. Just learn all you can, in whatever field is most natural to you.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #10
(female)

artsy70 HB User

Hi,
There is a specific mathematical disorder in its own right called Dyslaculia. Is also known as simply maths blindness,a good Educational psychologist can diagnose this. Things like talking calculators and other assitive technology as it is impossible to learn mathematical concepts if you have this learning disability in a conventional way.No matter how many times a concept is explained it simply does not register as my daughter who has this disorder tells me.Not a lot is known about this learning disability but it does exist. they are getting ther with the research though.
As well as that some people with Dyslexic have trouble with maths as well, these mathematical difficulties include telling the time, hot or cold, left and right. Thing like counting by tow are difficult counting numbers backward are difficult.

Closed Thread