HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Learning Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/learning-disorders/)
-   -   whats the difference between ADHD and LD? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/learning-disorders/684426-whats-difference-between-adhd-ld.html)

swelchmom66 04-05-2009 08:54 AM

whats the difference between ADHD and LD?

whats the difference between ADHD and LD?

BioAdoptMom3 05-09-2009 07:11 PM

Re: whats the difference between ADHD and LD?

ADHD is Attention Deficit Disorder, which is the term used to describe hyperactivity. It generally is related to behavior problems, but can effect learning as well because it effects concentration. LD is the abbreviation for Learning Disability. That can be any one of a number of disabilities which make it difficult to learn something, such as dyslexia or a processing disorder. Almost always a person with a learning disability has average to above average intelligence, but something in the brain makes it difficult to learn certain types of skills. They can involve reading, math, fine motor or large motor skill problems, etc.

Nancy

mmejia18 12-06-2009 08:51 PM

A child with a Learning Disability must have difficulty in one or more academic subject, they must have normal intelligence and the disability is not caused by some other condition( like sensory deficits). A child with a Learning Disability can be helped, if proper teaching and learning methods are instilled and taught. A child with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is characterized as overactive, inattention and impulsive. This my have a negative effect on social skills, friends, and cognitive development. This is also commonly misdiagnosed on some children, it is best to have an accurate diagnosis.

hope this helps!

paschar 12-12-2009 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=swelchmom66;3945714]whats the difference between ADHD and LD?[/QUOTE]

Greetings from paschar, ADD & ADHD have both the same meaning.one just adds the word health, LD means that one has a Learning Disablity like my own which is called in clinical terms as Strephosymbolia (I precieve everything as if in a mirror) backwards. however i have my I Q test results in the past show an I Q of 220 if you find that you have trouble with control of temper or other types of control issues i.e lashing out when it is uncalled for or paying attention in the classroom then ADHD may be why.:angel:

craigd 01-20-2010 06:33 AM

ADD is attention deficit disorder. ADHD is attention deficit with hyperactivity disorder. You can have ADD with no signs of hyperactivity. It is more or less just the inability to stay on task. A learning disability is a disorder in which a person has a fairly large difference between their ability (IQ) and their achievement (how they actually do academically). For example, if you have an IQ of 100 but you are only achieving at the 75th %-tile in let's say math, you could have a learning disability in math. Can you have both ADD and be LD....sure.

Paschar, I would be interested in knowing how you got tested in order to get a 220 IQ. Anything over 140 is considered genius or near genius. Over 200 is considered unmeasureable genius. Just curious???

paschar 01-20-2010 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=craigd;4167156]ADD is attention deficit disorder. ADHD is attention deficit with hyperactivity disorder. You can have ADD with no signs of hyperactivity. It is more or less just the inability to stay on task. A learning disability is a disorder in which a person has a fairly large difference between their ability (IQ) and their achievement (how they actually do academically). For example, if you have an IQ of 100 but you are only achieving at the 75th %-tile in let's say math, you could have a learning disability in math. Can you have both ADD and be LD....sure.

Paschar, I would be interested in knowing how you got tested in order to get a 220 IQ. Anything over 140 is considered genius or near genius. Over 200 is considered unmeasureable genius. Just curious???[/QUOTE]

In the field of the study of dyslexia/strephosymbolia one of the primary tests is called the DDT (developmental Dyslexia Test) along with a reformated verstion of the stanford Bennett exam (which is the same one i was given to get into the army medical corp) of which i scored off the chart as well, you have to try to understand that a person with dyslexia must use a different type of thinking (almost twice as much) to deal with the format of the real view of the world around them , I and others like myself must think outside the box (so to speak) we must find ways to be addaptive to normal text/fonts
ergo we tend to develope more brain pathways in the process (i could go on all night so i will leave you< edited > my computer is formated with a mirror image screen output which enables me to view it as if normal like you see things. i can explain in better detail on reading backwards in order to see normal.