It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
(female)

writermom333 HB User
understanding testing scores

Hi all,

My daughter is 8 and just finished the 2nd grade in a private school. She was tested at the end of kindergarten (total struggle to get public school to test her). they said she was too smart to be considered special ed, but she defintely had learning disability--just not sure what it was. She did not qualify for reading aid through public shcool, but the private school did give her aid occasionally. We also pay $200.00 per month for a dyslexia tutor, using Susan Barton method. We did not pay to have her diagnosed, because of the cost--we felt we should use our limited resources to help her get through 2nd grade, which she did.

DD did well in spelling, and math, but still struggles in reading and dysgraphia. Her state test scores came to an average of 31% (meaning she only tested higher than 31 % of all 2nd graders in the country. ) Interestingly enough--her scores were all almost exactly the same across the board--which would indicate to me that it is a pervasive problem and not just a single issue. Could this still be dyslexia? She is a VERY hard worker and managaed to keep b's and c's, but her testing also showed that she is losing ground--she only moved ahead a very small percentage point in each subject instead of a whole point as would be expected.

We are not sure whether to continue the dyslexia tutor or try something else--but what??

TIA!
Debbi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
(female)

Ladyj1 HB User
Re: understanding testing scores

In my district me place students on a RTI plan to ensure success with out resource label. Some students are place in a resource class due to their level being such in a core class and such.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

I tried to private message you with some info. but you don't have your private message feature turned on.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
(female)

writermom333 HB User

oops, sorry for not adding private message feature--I changed the settings and look forward to hearing from you!

thanks, Debbi

Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

I tried again to PM you but I still can't send you the info. It's a discussion board with some very knowledgeable moms (and some dads) on learning disabilities. I thought you could go there and post your questions and test scores and maybe get some help for your daughter.

Closed Thread