It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 07:21 PM   #1

Depressedboy HB User
Unhappy I'm not sure if I have a problem but it seems like it?

Ok... In school... I'm in High School by the way, 11th grade.Ever since 7th grade... I've been making bad grades.It's like I'm good sometimes with things but other times, kinda most of the time I'm confused. Basically in math & things that require alot of reading. I read really well... however... it's kinda hard for me to stay focus & pay attention to what's going on in the subject or story... I mean as long as the story doesn't get real complicated. Like in Us History... I might read a chapter but on a test... it's like reworded differently & I'm like where is the answer I read... or I might not understand the question that correct.I don't know... sometimes I get the worksheets & sometimes I don't... so I get frustrated & give up.Also with reading stories... I often just read to read, & it's hard for me to keep up or think about the story without me wondering off or actually remembering it.Like in school.. we're reading the book crucible & I just cannot get focused in the story & I really know a few details but I'm really lost.. Is there something wrong with me?? I'm not quite sure... I mean I get things but sometimes I don't which is normal too but I'm not really good in school work who knows.

Old 09-15-2003, 09:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Go to your doctor. They can test you to find out if you have ADD or not. He may refer you to a psychologist for testing. Either way, the sooner you find out, the better off you will be. Good luck.
Barb

------------------
"Life, for all its agonies...is exciting and beautiful, amusing and artful and endearing... and whatever is to come after it-we shall not have this life again."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2003, 10:49 PM   #3

sosxyalmostevil HB User
Re: I'm not sure if I have a problem but it seems like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depressedboy
Ok... In school... I'm in High School by the way, 11th grade.Ever since 7th grade... I've been making bad grades.It's like I'm good sometimes with things but other times, kinda most of the time I'm confused. Basically in math & things that require alot of reading. I read really well... however... it's kinda hard for me to stay focus & pay attention to what's going on in the subject or story... I mean as long as the story doesn't get real complicated. Like in Us History... I might read a chapter but on a test... it's like reworded differently & I'm like where is the answer I read... or I might not understand the question that correct.I don't know... sometimes I get the worksheets & sometimes I don't... so I get frustrated & give up.Also with reading stories... I often just read to read, & it's hard for me to keep up or think about the story without me wondering off or actually remembering it.Like in school.. we're reading the book crucible & I just cannot get focused in the story & I really know a few details but I'm really lost.. Is there something wrong with me?? I'm not quite sure... I mean I get things but sometimes I don't which is normal too but I'm not really good in school work who knows.
Hi there, I know exactly what you are going through. I am in tenth grade and throughout my whole lift up until this year i had the exact same problems you are listing in school. I finally said there is something wrong and went to a doctor and he tried me on adderall for ADD. I HATED it, so I then went on Concerta and Now i am getting all As and Bs....go see a dr./psycologist and describe your problems in detail...medication might really help you.

Old 12-03-2003, 03:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Doesn't necessarily have to be ADD - you may just have problems with your reading comprehension, which is quite common with many learning difficulties.

Do you have these problems only in school or do you also have trouble staying focussed when talking about *fun* things with your friends?

Inhibited Perfectionist

Last edited by Redhead23; 12-03-2003 at 03:47 AM.

Old 01-24-2004, 08:30 PM   #5

computer707 HB User

Take the easy way out. If you are having trouble with an english book for an example go to [url]www.sparknotes.com[/url] or something to clarify points you didn't understand from the book. This is a good way to ACE the test because it only emphasizes the main points, and it will even give you topics for essays.

If the history book is giving you trouble(many of them are written with unnecessary flowery language and with unnecessary pointless patriotism) go online and find study guides or buy yourself a review book for the class. Usually the review books are written better with less ambiguous wording. I find myself reading our textbook for S.S. TWO times to get the message out of it and one more time for memorization. Just give up on school textbooks man, they are purposely dry, boring, and unreadable.

In math, JUST DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Usually the teacher will go over the homework. If you do not understand it, or get ANY question wrong ask them to explain it better.

Last edited by computer707; 01-24-2004 at 08:36 PM.

Closed Thread