It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2003, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

Shababy HB User
Lightbulb Right Hemispheric Learning Disorder

At first, my daughter was diagnosed with ADD. I knew it wasn't just that, so I took her to another psycologist. She was diagnosed with Right Hemispheric Learning Disorder. She has the fine motor skills problems, problems with using a pencil, eating with utensils, etc. She has attention, memory, recall, etc. but much worse then one with ADD. She can get an A on a test and an hour later get an F. She needs probably 100% or 200% more time to do homework than most kids. She has problems understanding written and oral material. She has problems with giving enough details all the time and is accused of lieing alot of times when she's not. She has an eating disorder which I'm not sure is part of it. St. Luke's Hospital, Spokane, WA told me that alot of patients with this disorder they see and the patients with these disorders usually have spinal disorders. St. Luke's Hospital has a Rehab Center that offers testing and therapy in: resource room, occupational, physical therapy, speech therapy, behavioral therapy, social therapy, etc. I recently got a perscription from her doctor for testing in all the areas and am going to take her there. This hospital says they can help kids more than schools can or will.

------------------

Old 09-18-2003, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
I sure hope you found help from the hospital. It does sound like she has medical things going on or some bigger troubles than just ADD. Schools are academic and only see things from that point of view. Sometimes you need to look in the medical community to find real answers.

NeuroPsychology testing has been helpful with my son who has Epilepsy as well as learning disorders...

[This message has been edited by kayakmom (edited 09-23-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2003, 04:56 PM   #3
(female)

Shababy HB User
Neuro what? Do you mean neuropsycology? Could that be miss spelled or maybe I haven't heard of this. She was tested today at St. Luke's and they found some unusual things and want to do more testing. She also has Skeletal Dysplasia, contractures, extra bones in all the toes, etc. She's considered a Little Person, between dwaft and the normal heights and she's 4' 10 1/2. She has alot of diagnosis. According to doctors, they think she has an autoimmune connective tissue/musclar neuro rare disease, probably one of the over 200 types of skeletal dysplasias. Thanks for e-mailing me. Her doc has said to watch her for seizures as she has twitching in the eye & eyebrow area and heal and leg areas. She recently had blood tests looking for a reason why she might be havning the sensations of cold liquid running in down her joints and spine. Just tons of things! Thanks for writting to me! I appreciate any and all suggestions.

------------------

Old 09-23-2003, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Sorry, yes there was a mispelling and then it took me awhile to check back.

Has the doctor done an EEG since he is concerned about seizures? Seems appropriate. Sounds like she has a lot of things going on that you both have to work with. Is she getting special help at school? Sounds like she could use an aide or a tutor maybe to help her get work done. SHe needs time to play and be a kid and not just do homework all night!! (we have been there, too. )

Hope things are going better with the answers you got from testing...

Old 09-23-2003, 11:12 AM   #5
(female)

Shababy HB User
Exclamation

I will take her to another neurologist for an EEG. I think I'll just wait and do everything at Children's Hospital even though it's a long drive. There they will also be able to rule out if it's a rare form of
MD, a rare form of skeletal dysplasia or what. I read on the www about a type of epilepsy that can go with a rare type of MD. This type of epilepsy causes
jerking of the eyes and limbs, what she has. At St. Luke's, we found out she was misdiagnosed, that she does have neurological problems that the last neurologist, Shriner's, and Spina Bifida Clinic said she DID NOT have. She also has sensory problems, problems processing info through the muscles, and the speech evaluator wants to test her further because she found some odd things. The type of right hemispheric disorder she has is Non-Verbal learning disorder. They are starting testing at school.

------------------

Old 09-23-2003, 11:14 AM   #6
(female)

Shababy HB User
MERRF Syndrome, do a search on it. It's a type
of epilepsy with MD. Check it out!

------------------

Old 09-29-2003, 04:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
Also check into nonverbal Learning Disorders they are down to problems with the right hemisphere of the brain, are often mixed up with ADD and in severe cases can be very disabling. Birth defects like spina bifida, hydrocephalus etc. show increased risk of such a problem (in most cases it is caused by problems during pregnancy and/or birth of some kind).

------------------
Redhead23

Female, 25

Quit smoking & left abusive relationship in 2003 - now there's just some 25 lbs to lose and I'm happy again

Possible ADD

Anxiety, panic attacks

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 11-14-2003, 08:34 PM   #8

mxl360 HB User
is she left handed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shababy1959
At first, my daughter was diagnosed with ADD. I knew it wasn't just that, so I took her to another psycologist. She was diagnosed with Right Hemispheric Learning Disorder. She has the fine motor skills problems, problems with using a pencil, eating with utensils, etc. She has attention, memory, recall, etc. but much worse then one with ADD. She can get an A on a test and an hour later get an F. She needs probably 100% or 200% more time to do homework than most kids. She has problems understanding written and oral material. She has problems with giving enough details all the time and is accused of lieing alot of times when she's not. She has an eating disorder which I'm not sure is part of it. St. Luke's Hospital, Spokane, WA told me that alot of patients with this disorder they see and the patients with these disorders usually have spinal disorders. St. Luke's Hospital has a Rehab Center that offers testing and therapy in: resource room, occupational, physical therapy, speech therapy, behavioral therapy, social therapy, etc. I recently got a perscription from her doctor for testing in all the areas and am going to take her there. This hospital says they can help kids more than schools can or will.

------------------

Closed Thread