It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
(female)

jtb123 HB User
What kind of tests can a 21 yo take to determine whether she has a Learning Disorder?

What kind of tests can a 21 yo take to determine whether she has a Learning Disorder? "She," referring to myself.

My brother has Asperger's Syndrome, and my cousin has Autism. I've always had trouble with math, and reading in school. I haven't read a book on my own since 4th grade when I read Stuart Little. I cannot finish a book. I am in college now, but I am registered with the center for disabilities, and I get double-time on my exams, and I get to take exams alone and with a computer, as well.

I attend a good college, and I have a 3.949 GPA, but there is still something wrong, I think. My math-level is very poor, and I am a very slow worker/learner, in general. I also take much longer than all of my classmates to finish work, and it takes me a long time to think. I always feel like there's something "blocking" my brain. Can someone let me know if there's any test that I can take to see if my suspicions are valid? I spoke to my Doctor, and he seems to agree, but he doesn't seem to know much about the testing-process. Can someone help? Thanks!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: What kind of tests can a 21 yo take to determine whether she has a Learning Disor

The best thing to do is to take a test such as WISC. (Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children.) Despite the name, it's not really an IQ test, and the important thing isn't your total score, it's where you do poorly and where you do better.

It usually costs about $1000, because it has to be administered personally (some parts are spoken) and takes several hours. Possibly someone at your college can refer you to a tester.

I had it done when I was 19, best $1000 I ever spent. I was diagnosed with ADD and in the space of a few months went from failing out of college to finishing my next semester with a 4.0

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

Queenofkings HB User
Re: What kind of tests can a 21 yo take to determine whether she has a Learning Disor

I used to take a long time to finish work in college to, but I went online and did some research. My problem was a slow processing problem that could be easily corrected by engaging in certain types of mental activities, such as jigsaw puzzles. I decided to try this for myself, and after a few weeks, noticed a significant difference in my ability to finish work faster. It really does help!

The Following User Says Thank You to Queenofkings For This Useful Post:
BriBru (01-05-2011)
Closed Thread