It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

mellie0117 HB User
Child Repeating Select Words

I have a child in my preschool class who is 3-years-old. When I ask a question, instead of answering, the child will respond by saying a couple words from the question.

i.e.

I ask: Would you like to use the blue marker?
The child: Blue marker, blue marker, blue marker.

The child is not autistic, however, I'm not sure what would be causing this type of response. The parents don't seem to be very concerned, but I'm always cautious of how these types of things can affect the child's learning ability. I've researched speech disorders but I haven't found any information that specifically touches on this particular occurrence. Any ideas? Any parents/teachers have similar experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Child Repeating Select Words

My daughter with autism did that....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

sooiep33 HB User

how do you know the child is not autistic?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
(female)

CinCT HB User

If you are not seeing any other abnormal behaviors from this child, then my guess would be that she has a receptive language delay. This means that she does not understand what you are asking her, but she knows that a response is required, so she just repeats part of what you said to her.

Without knowing this little girl, I can't say for sure, but if you are confident that her behavior is otherwise typical, that is the most likely explanation. Does she have trouble following directions (either she doesn't seem to know what to do, or she looks to her classmates for cues)? If you rephrase the way you ask her a question (for example, turn it into a statement instead), is she able to answer you? For example, instead of saying "What color is this?" try saying "tell me what color this is." Does that help?

If you have specific concerns about this child, speak to the school speech-language pathologist (SLP), who can observe the child and give you suggestions on how to help her. If her deficit is significant, or extends to expressive language as well, she may require a special education evaluation to determine if she is eligible for special ed services.

Good luck!
Christina (School-based SLP)

Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
(female)

sooiep33 HB User

My son does this as well but only at school. He has been found to have severe anxiety (which I already knew about) as well as scholastic anxiety. Sounds a bit like what your student has. It's so much pressure for him to answer correctly that he just goes into a loop of something, anything that you may have said in the question. I have found that offering 2 choices seems to lessen my son's anxiety, it more or less leaves him in a sense of control.

Hope this helps, let me know!
Susan

Closed Thread