It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User
Color and People Recognition

I want some input on this, if anyone has dealt with it or if they can direct where to go for help.
My daughter is 2 and a half - will be 3 in Febuary. She has yet to learn her colors. We are constantly trying to teach her. We have tried using M&M's and she can sort the same colors into piles but she just can't get colors. Which I would have to say, maybe she is color blind. However there are other issues. . .
She can not get her aunts and uncles straight, the right name to the right face. My sisters she sees almost every day and my husbands siblings at least once a week, since she was born. She can not tell one apart from the other. She never gets the name and face right. Well she does sometimes but I think it is just a good guess. We have tried using pictures of them and working on it but I think that by now she is old enough to get them straight. She does get me, her dad, my mom and her brother right. However if she is scanning faces in a crowded room, she does pass me over until I call her name. Another example, we saw a woman getting into a car in the parking lot that had the same build and hair color as me. I was sitting in the car with my daughter and she said. "Mommy what are you doing over there?"
We also had a problem with animal recognition. We worked on this over and over again. And now she is pretty good. However if I gave her, for example, a face picture of a cow and pig, she will more then likely get confused.
So where do I go from here? I am expecting too much out of her for her age(2 1/2) or is she having problems? I am in NJ, where do I get help if she needs it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread