It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
"adult" onset CAPD or something else?

Hello,

I have a large number of disabilities and illnesses. Over the past several years, I have really noticed my inability to understand people if there are any background noises. I can hear people talking but it doesn't register. Same goes for if I'm tired, even if it's quiet. I went to an audiologist, who tested my hearing, which came back with just minor losses in both ears (borderline normal), and diagnosed me with CAPD.

I have a neurological disease called generalized dystonia, am unable to walk, have immune problems, and other neurological problems. My last visit to the neurologist, the doctor informed me that she believes the CAPD to be connected to my neurological abnormalities.

It seems that I am able to "regurgitate" words as soon as they are said and write them down or sign them (in ASL), but they don't mean anything to me. Written information is clear to me, as is visual (signed) information. I have a huge problem understanding verbal directions, and previously was told this was a short term memory issue, although I don't believe that's the case.

I'm having more and more issues with understanding, for example on tv or at the movies, the words just sound far away and incomprehensible. I'm almost 24, and never had issues verbally as a child or learning problems until the onset of my disease at 11. I did, however, have math problems at some point. I am a very good reader and writer as well.

Does this sound like CAPD? Anyone have any insight into a progressing form of CAPD?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread