It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
(male)

MrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB UserMrDister78 HB User
Where(free)would I go for Relearning skills as an adult?

I discovered i have a speech problem and difficulties reading and understanding and comprehension. My Speech Dr, said I need to relearn how to read and comprehend what i read and increase my vocab and increase my cmmunication skills and relearn many academic things including Math, reading, science. etc

And she said i need to be taught in a grade level or something like that , because a big part of my problem is i don't understand things when people talk, and i have trouble with auditory processing etc. and with memory( i forget things quickly) So colleges etc are not gonna teach me at the level I need.

Thing is I'm already in my 30s. and colleges etc (NOT THAT I KNOW OF) Don't Reteach learning of acadmic subjects and reading for adults like me.

AND also Special Education places don't really teach people like me, they teach people who have more sevvere mental illness.

So where do I get the type of education I need?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Where(free)would I go for Relearning skills as an adult?

You can contact your state's unemployment office, for one thing. Many offer vocational training.

Also, pay a visit to your local community college. Most have developmental courses or Adult Basic Education. It won't be free, but community colleges in CA have very low tuition.

Register early, talk to advisors, talk to other people who attend the school, get the best teachers. Right now, community colleges are very crowded, and you'll get closed out of classes if you don't register early.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread