It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
(female)

Daysie HB User
what on gods green earth do i do now??

I have a very long, and complicated life story. But do not worry, I will not bore you with the details. But i do need to explain some things...

First off, I am diagnosed as Autistic. I read and wrote at the age of 3 years and I have social deficits, along with sensory issues. However, I can make eye contact, I am the sarcasm extraordinaire and Im a bit more open to social occasions. Ive always been that way.

So Im thinking....im not autistic at all. Maybe Im Hyperlexic? The thing is though, I really can write well. Actually, I am a writer. Im creative and instinctive when it comes to spelling and grammer and such. What does that mean? Who could answer that question??

I have other learning defecits as well. Like for instance....the dreaded MATH subject. I can not read traditional clocks, I can not add past 10 + 10 (because I run out of fingers, and its socially awkward to break out the toes), as well as I generally do not understand the concepts of math (equasions, fractions, multiplication, division, adding large numbers, etc, etc.).

As well, I cant read my own handwriting. And its not just that. When I write or type my hand will get warm and start to cramp after not even 2 minutes. As well, I place letters backwards and put letters in the wrong places. However, I can spell amazingly. As stated above. But my handwriting is completely, and udderly, illegible. Its quite sad. Especially in school when I write notes. They are practically worthless.

But i think about this stuff, and I think there is NO possible way to have THREE learning disorders. Really, thats impossible, right??

So how do I go about testing?? I do have insurance. And my copays are usually small. But who do I go to? Are there specific doctors/MDs/PHDs who specialize in this sort of thing??

My sincere apologies for this massive novel. I hope you can stay attentive long enough to read such gibberish.

Love always,
Daysie

no, i am not joking. yes, im being sarcastic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daysie For This Useful Post:
obsvproof (10-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: what on gods green earth do i do now??

Actually, it is possible to have multiple learning disorders. They often travel in groups or run in families.

The best test is something called the WISC. Some call it an IQ test, but it actually measures your ability to do a whole range of different mental tasks. It costs about $1000 to administer, but it is sometimes covered by insurance. It's usually done by a psychologist or psychiatrist. After the test, do NOT let them give you one number! You should get a whole bunch of subscores to go with it. Believe it or not, I had the test done three times before my learning problems were diagnosed, because the tester didn't pay enough attention to the subscores.

People with diagnosed learning disabilities are entitled to reasonable accommodations in school. For example, if you are diagnosed with a learning disability involving handwriting, perhaps the school would let you use a laptop in class to type everything. Sounds like a reasonable accommodation to me!

Reply Reply

Tags
autism?, disorders, learning, learning disabilities