It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

Twisted Metal HB UserTwisted Metal HB User
motor skills/hand eye coordination...

I have no motor skills or hand eye coordination I guess. I have a very hard time driving, I can't parellell park i just dont understand how t use the mirrors or know how much to turn the wheel, or how to change lanes or merge, its just two many things to flow together. I have horrible awful messy handwriting that has not improved since I first started writing (I'm 24) I don't understand body mechanics like how to lift with your legs (witch is becoming a problem for me now I am a nurse aid and do a lot of lifting and my back hurts everyday i know i am doing damage) I can't do a sit-up I just do not understand how to do it without using my back. I have never been able to cut food weather it is meat or a carrot or peel an orange I just can't coordinate myself to do it. Nothing i do is neat like folding clothes. i am very clumsy with sports I have bad posture and I think I walk with my feet sort of pointed in. These are all things I have never been able to do correctly and it all really hurts my selfesteem especially the driving and I know people wonder why I can't do any of these things right like when people look at me trying to peel an orange or something and tell me i am doing it dangerously. A lot of times I try to avoid all of these things. My therapist suggested I have a motor skills disorder because my father was an alcoholic or it is a lack of confidence from being depressed and traumatized my whole childhood and life. I don't know, the older I get now the harder it is to live like this and have confidence. People think I am stupid when they see all the things I can't do. Does anyone know any ideas why I am this way or how to fix it or what causes this. How can I learn how to drive better or coordinate myself to cut food or learn proper body mechanics to lift at work. People have explained this all to me so many times I just can't put it together. I feel so worthless and hopeless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: motor skills/hand eye coordination...

Hello to you,

I am so sorry to hear of your difficulties with motor skills. I can imagine how difficult this can make daily living, and how you would want to avoid certain situations.

Have you ever been seen by a doctor about this? I would encourage you to seek some kind of physical therapy, occupational therapy, or something similar.

Whether the cause of your motor skill development is something you were born with, or something that developed due to environmental reasons, I believe help is available for you. There are many building blocks you can use that will apply to many of the skills you mention that can be learned in time, with patience and practice.

I am using the experience I have had over the last 9 years, while I have been recovering from 4 strokes, that left me with many deficits, many motor skills, balance and coordination issues. Coming out of the strokes, I was unable to walk, talk, write, draw, type, read, or even think. With therapy, I have come so far. I believe that similar work on your part could offer you the same results. It does take time and work, as you have to re train your brain to remember certain sequences and actions.

Our brains are amazing organs, and with the right attitude and lots of guts, we can train it to do almost anything we want. Use tiny steps, and recognize and praise yourself for each accomplishment, how ever small it may seem. Please do not be hard on yourself, as you are perfect just how you are. We all need to work on different aspects of our lives, and I applaud you for stepping up and trying to work through this issue.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:40 AM   #3
(female)

LunarEclipse HB User
Re: motor skills/hand eye coordination...

You are not worthless. You sound a lot like me. I am dyspraxic. It's like dyslexia but with hand eye co-ordination. It's worth getting tested for (you need a behavioural psychologist for this) because if you are your school should be able to give you a lot of help and support. It just means making adaptations and more practice.

Reply Reply