It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Learning Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Developing learning problems as an adult

I am taking college courses to be a medical assistant. I was taking online courses and was one mth from graduating but I transferred to a local college here and now I have 8 more mths to finish the program (long story).

I had such a hard time trying to learn the material when I was taking the online program. Still am. Get really tired when I start reading, I cannot process the information, so I have to read it over and over again before I know what I'm reading. Took a test Wednesday and I had to read the questions several times before I understood what I was reading. When we read the lectures out loud, I cannot process that information at all. I don't have any problem reading it though. No problems having conversations with people and understanding what they are saying to me. Why is it I can process that but not when it comes to studying?

I'm so aggrivated because I don't quite understand what is wrong. I wanted to go to college to be a RN later on but that isn't going to work out with the type of problems I'm having.

I have taken a caffeine pill before and it really helped me to where I was able to study. But after 4 days on this medication, it stopped working. Adderall doesn't help at all.

I have a mild rheumatoid disease and it's caused me to have severe chronic disabling fatigue. It helps where I am taking prednisone/plaquenil but I'm still tired. Even on days I am not all that bad though, still have the learning problems.

I don't know what to think. Is it just the fatigue? I have paresthesia (tingling and other sensations) all over my body. My neurologist thinks my rheumatoid disease is attacking my nerves. No proof of that whatsover. He wanted to do a MRI to test for dementia and MS but my insurance will not approve it.

I don't think it's dementia, yes I've had some signs, but there's a lot I don't have as well.

This is what scares me though. Could it be possible something in my brain is deteriorating, that I could have a neurological disease that is causing all this?

I honestly just want to cry. I want to be able to study and learn better than I can.

What kind of doctor do you go to for this? Can they do any types of assessments and run any tests for this to see what might be wrong?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: Developing learning problems as an adult

I've started taking Nuvigil and it's helping tremendously.

It was prescribed to help treat my fatigue. I was really tired the other night and I could still focus on studying. So I can't see the fatigue being the reason behind this problem.

Why would your brain need stimulated to work properly???

I have past issues. One time I lost track of time (in one place, end up in another and didn't remember how I got there), I just end up realizing I was there.

Can't balance a checkbook anymore.

Recently I've been messing up with names of people I know and calling them by someone else's name.

At one point, it was affecting my driving, wasn't registering in my head to stop when I needed to (when a car stopped in front of me, or with stop signs or stop lights)

Old 06-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
(male)

La Messa HB User
Re: Developing learning problems as an adult

Hello neveragain,

Reading your post, I felt like you were describing what I've been feeling only you've stated it far more succinctly than I could have ever done.

I'd just add to your list that, personally, when I'm speaking with someone and they're giving me directions, I end up feeling a blitz of confusion in my mind coupled with embarrassment because I'm feeling like they must be able to see it on my face. I'm rarely able to retain any of what people tell me. When I'm reading instructions, I swear to god that the words all rearrange themselves into mumbo jumbo right before my eyes. Many times I'll have to read one line, several times before I get the flow of the sentence. Then, I have to re-read it to get the meaning of the sentence. It's horribly frustrating.

I also suffer from fatigue and the associated anxiety of being fatigued - like when you need to be somewhere at a certain time and are afraid that you'll need a nap right at that moment OR being so stressed about being fatigued the next day, that you can't get a good sleep the night prior. A double edged sword, so to speak.

I've had a poor memory all my life. My Mother used to tell me it was selective but I know for a fact it's not and it's growing worse by the day, to the point which I, like you, wonder if my brain is deteriorating. It sure does feel like it. Additionally, in the last 15 years, my ability to recall faces has diminished incredibly. I'd say that overall, my observation skills have gone seriously downhill. I can't tell you how embarrassing it is when someone approaches you in a very friendly manner and starts talking about something as if you should A) know them, and B) know what they're talking about, but you don't have a clue who they are or what they're referring to. You just know you're wrong and try to fake your way out of it, best you can without insulting them.

I began telling people (therapists included) that I feel as though I will have Alzheimer's at an early age (I'm only 54 now). No one listened. They all think I'm joking. I do joke though on occasion and say the I have "Sometimers" but really, it's no joke. Its in fact, quite startling and scary.

Anyway, these, combined with a few other ailments, have now rendered me unemployed. I now fear interviews because I can't retain or comprehend "in the moment" discussions and more than likely, I won't remember their face if I were to see them for a 2nd interview.

Oh, and what you'd mentioned about losing track of time? Happens to me all the time, especially when I'm driving. I can be so deep in thought that I'll go anywhere up to a few city blocks and have no recollection of how I got there. I mean, obviously I got there in the car but I have no visual memory of the path there.

This Nuvigil sounds interesting.

Best of luck!

Reply Reply