It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2004, 10:11 AM   #1

blitten HB User
Cmml

My father was just diagnosed with CMML. Does anyone have information about treatment or prognosis. Things I have been reading don't look good.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: Cmml

CMML or CML?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2004, 12:32 PM   #3

blitten HB User

CMML - Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia

Old 02-01-2004, 08:00 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
This is a rare cancer - Are diagnosis usually accurate?

This looks like good information: [url]http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/attachments/National/br_1022082891.pdf[/url]

I've never heard of this cancer. When did it get diagnosed and is it on the increase? If so, since when? and why? It is probably one of the blood cancers I should learn about, along with the solvent I've studied that causes blood damage

People exposed to solvents such as ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (AKA 2-butoxyethanol) are at risk for CLL - Chronic Lymphocydic Leukemia, bone cancer, leukemia, liver cancers, lymph type cancers (?), stomach cancer, melanoma, lung cancer

See NTP results about cancer. For humans there is strong suspicion for hematopoetics, neoplasms: leukemias, lymphpomas with this chemical that is so rampantly used in our society & dumped in the oceans, too (Doesn't help with oil cleanup ... but this chemical is strong in many dispersants ... and in paints and household cleaning products, etc)

Sad to say, from what I've been learning, our Gulf War troops 90-91 were exposed to this chemical, and it is one of the few exposures that has not been studied. In the list of diagnosis I found for these, it doesn't list the type of cancers the Gulf War Syndrome vets are coming down with, but I think it would be helpful to know.

What does your father do for job? Or has he been in such a situation as oil cleanup, Gulf War, etc?

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 02-01-2004 at 08:03 AM.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:11 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
Should start regularly freezing umbelical chord blood

I heard on TV by a well-liked DR, Andrew Weil, on a Larry King show ... that people should save the umbelical chord blood at birth. If in the future the baby should need stem cells, they would have it.

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 02-14-2004 at 08:59 PM.

Old 02-19-2004, 09:38 PM   #6
(female)

fazio HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitten
My father was just diagnosed with CMML. Does anyone have information about treatment or prognosis. Things I have been reading don't look good.
Hi blitten,
My husband has cmml. It is a rare form of leukemia. His Oncologist is not treating him as of yet, since his symptoms are minor at this time. It can progress at any rate, no one knows. So far his symptoms have been terrible itching, especially at nite, and tired, but you have to watch for infection and bleeding. He doesnt go where there are crowds of people. So far, he is doing good. we go day by day, but keep your chin up and try to keep him positive. Dont believe everything you read, the Dr. told us it is something that is unpredictable and they cant predict the prognosis. It can go on for years. A cord blood transplant or bone marrow transplant is not feasible at my husbands age because the blood from the umbilical cord would not support an adult, and a bone marrow transplant would be too risky because of his age.
Wishing you and Your Father the Best.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
(female)

pjeanna9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitten View Post
I have Cmml. I was diagnosed in 2004. my Oncologist told me there is no remission for this kind of leukemia. I have been on Hydrea which is a chemo pill. My spleen is so swollen that it gets caught under my ribs. Doctors don't know that much about it, and it worries me. I am a women 67 years old and
told to old for BMT. If you can pass on to me what you've been reading, I'd be very gratefull. God Bless pjeanna9

Closed Thread