It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #1

MustBNuts HB User
Irregular Blood Tests - Peripheral Flow Cytometry

Okay, hope someone's out there....

Have had 4-5 blood tests in the last 5 weeks due to above normal wbc (everyone here seems to have a number, my dr. didn't give me one).

Last set of tests were Philadelphia chromosome, peripheral flow cytometry, and cbc manual diff. Phil. chromosome isn't in yet, but the per. flow cytometry test was "above normal", or something of that nature.

I was formally referred to the hematologist and have an appt in 4 wks.

But in the meantime, I am trying to find info on peripheral flow cytometry (the Philly test is documented all over the place)...to no avail! I mean, it's not like you can have a slight or mild case of leukemia???

Does anyone know anything about this test?

Thanks in advance,

MustBNuts

Last edited by MustBNuts; 03-09-2004 at 07:12 PM.

Old 03-10-2004, 04:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Irregular Blood Tests - Peripheral Flow Cytometry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBNuts
Okay, hope someone's out there....

Have had 4-5 blood tests in the last 5 weeks due to above normal wbc (everyone here seems to have a number, my dr. didn't give me one).

Last set of tests were Philadelphia chromosome, peripheral flow cytometry, and cbc manual diff. Phil. chromosome isn't in yet, but the per. flow cytometry test was "above normal", or something of that nature.

I was formally referred to the hematologist and have an appt in 4 wks.

But in the meantime, I am trying to find info on peripheral flow cytometry (the Philly test is documented all over the place)...to no avail! I mean, it's not like you can have a slight or mild case of leukemia???

Does anyone know anything about this test?

Thanks in advance,

MustBNuts
There are some wbc related illnesses that can mimic Leukemia in the early stages. One of the illnesses that can mimic Leukemia is Aplastic Anemia. The flow cytometry tests can differentiate the difference between Leukemia, different types of leukemia, and the several anemias out there that are similar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2004, 04:58 PM   #3

MustBNuts HB User

Thanks for the reply Marimac.

The question is, for example, in a wbc you are given a number, in the philly test it's positive or negative....what about the flow cytometry? Are results numerical? Is there a "standard" range? What sort of results do I receive to indicate that they are within a reasonably normal range?

Sorry, I'm in computers and sometimes am a bit lunatic about fact, numbers, and logic...and apparently, I don't like being in the dark!

MBN

Old 03-10-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBNuts
Thanks for the reply Marimac.

The question is, for example, in a wbc you are given a number, in the philly test it's positive or negative....what about the flow cytometry? Are results numerical? Is there a "standard" range? What sort of results do I receive to indicate that they are within a reasonably normal range?

Sorry, I'm in computers and sometimes am a bit lunatic about fact, numbers, and logic...and apparently, I don't like being in the dark!

MBN
Yes, in Flow cytometry there are numerical values. IF you want to look them up, check your browser under Flow cytometry and it will list some values. However, my experience is that some of this is reported in Binary values that do not make sense unless you have the reference ranges available. But, if you are into computers the numbers may make sense to you.

Old 03-10-2004, 06:36 PM   #5

MustBNuts HB User

Thanks, will do! At least it will keep me busy until the other shoe drops!!!

Closed Thread