It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2004, 12:10 AM   #1

princessdevilish HB User
17 female...LEuKEMIA??

I am so scared, I am 17 and female. I have almost all the symptoms for anemia, but I also have quite a few for leukima. Here are my lekemia symptoms: I have severe upper back/neck pains for NO reason. They just came on and I cannot even sleep it hurts so much. Leukemia has bone pains. I also just discovered today, this purplish circle on my hip, with red in it too.....it looks like a hickey almost. I cannot describe it but it is the oddest looking thing about as big as a dime. I read that leukemia signs are purple rashes. I know I will go to a doctor, but in the mean time I want to know if you guys think I have leukemia. I am so scared. I need help! I am also very pale, but have been for several years. ....VERY pale.

Old 03-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #2

MustBNuts HB User
Re: 17 female...LEuKEMIA??

I know it's easy to say, but don't panic until you really have to! Just take a deep breath and take it one step at a time. Each of your symptoms could describe just about anything else; the first step is to talk to your doctor.

I, too, was always very pale. When I'd visit my mother, she'd always pay for tanning sessions and tell me to put on more makeup...

I am now right in the middle of waiting for test results...I don't know either way, but have been referred to a hematologist. What I've found helps, though, is sharing your fear with someone you trust. Don't try to bottle it all up, stress isn't good for ya either!

Good luck,

MBN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User

you should go see a doctor, but I don't think you have it. My friend was just diagnosed a couple of weeks ago after being very, very sick. Waking up for 2 weeks with night sweats and she had to change her sheets every time. Her whole body was aching, she thought she had the flu and thats what made her go to the doctor, she had bruises all over and didn't remember hurting her self. And the list goes on. If you are really worried about having it, you need to see a doctor.
Hope this helps!!
Becky

Old 03-12-2004, 02:19 AM   #4
(female)

Cashodeen HB User

Quote:
Originally posted by princessdevilish
I am so scared, I am 17 and female. I have almost all the symptoms for anemia, but I also have quite a few for leukima. Here are my lekemia symptoms: I have severe upper back/neck pains for NO reason. They just came on and I cannot even sleep it hurts so much. Leukemia has bone pains. I also just discovered today, this purplish circle on my hip, with red in it too.....it looks like a hickey almost. I cannot describe it but it is the oddest looking thing about as big as a dime. I read that leukemia signs are purple rashes. I know I will go to a doctor, but in the mean time I want to know if you guys think I have leukemia. I am so scared. I need help! I am also very pale, but have been for several years. ....VERY pale.
I can say with great certainty that you do not have leukemia. Most symptoms people experience can be associated with dozens of conditions. I realize its easy to notice symptoms you have and single out one dreaded disease, but usually people turn out to have nothing seriously wrong. Do you realize upper back and neck aches can be caused by dozens of reasons? That rash is probably nothing either.

You definately want to get a check up though to perhaps see what those anemia symptoms are about, and your back/neck pain. Don't worry, it is most likely NOT leukemia!

Last edited by Cashodeen; 03-12-2004 at 02:24 AM.

Old 03-26-2004, 09:59 PM   #5

heatherdarbs HB User

If you've been pale for years, that shouldn't be a concern. If you're thinking Leukemia, then your skin tone would be yellow. Also, anemics bruise easily...is it a bruise? Are you vomiting at all?

Old 03-30-2004, 11:52 PM   #6
(female)

amlgirl2 HB User

Pallor (paleness) is not a direct symptom of leukemia. The paleness is associated with the severe anemia leukemia causes.

Old 03-30-2004, 11:57 PM   #7
(female)

Cashodeen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdarbs
If you've been pale for years, that shouldn't be a concern. If you're thinking Leukemia, then your skin tone would be yellow. Also, anemics bruise easily...is it a bruise? Are you vomiting at all?
Skin would be yellow with Leukemia? Could you explain this please? Yellow skin is usually associated with jaundice--a condition not necessarily occurring in leukemia. And its the thrombocytopenia in leukemia that causes one to bruise easily, not anemia.

Old 04-10-2004, 10:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashodeen
Skin would be yellow with Leukemia? Could you explain this please? Yellow skin is usually associated with jaundice--a condition not necessarily occurring in leukemia. And its the thrombocytopenia in leukemia that causes one to bruise easily, not anemia.
I don't know a lot about leukemia, but jaundice can occur with liver diseases, and from what I understand, the liver and spleen may be enlarged with leukemia.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
If you don't know a lot about leukemia then you shouldn't be spouting off symptoms that one would have just because you're gathering up some of what you know. Up above you said, "Skin tone would be yellow" which just is not the case when you put it that way. I don't normally critisize the way someone words things, but that sounded like you were naming it as a definite symptom. Skin tone would not be yellow necessarily because not all leukemics have jaundice.

But I do know that hepatosplenomegaly is a common symptom in leukemia and that hepatomegaly can cause jaundice.

For the person who said, "skin tone would be yellow", maybe more appropriate wording would be, "skin tone could be yellow". Then again, let's not correct every little error people make...

Last edited by jerrie97; 04-11-2004 at 01:59 PM.

Old 04-11-2004, 04:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
Shiver me timbers! I thought that was you in the beginning saying "skin tone would be yellow" until I just scrolled up and saw it was heatherdarbs. Otherwise I wouldn't have teased you about not knowing very much about leukemia! I agree with what you said in both posts.

And I do think it is important to word things a certain way when discussing a disease. Since not all leukemics have yellow skin, it is highly wrong to say "skin tone WOULD be yellow." People should realize not all particular symptoms in a disease occur in everyone. In this case, "could" and "would" are quite different. And she dismissed pallor, when more leukemics are likely to have that than yellow skin.

Ah, I see now. And I do agree with you regarding wording things in a certain way while discussing a disease.

Have you noticed that so many people around the ages of 15-18 are concerned that every little muscle ache is cancer? I'm not saying it can't be, but that's the first thing a lot of people think.

Old 04-22-2004, 10:56 AM   #11

annebash HB User

I have to say, Im noticing all these people posting on the cancer boards thinking cancer right away for symptoms that could be a number of things. I think the information age has a down side as we hear many more horror stories of cancer and other illnesses, which in turn gives society the impression that these things are common. They arent. I was one of the unfortunate people to actually GET cancer, at the age of 15. Not leukemia, a tumor in my leg. I was told at the time that they were 99 percent sure the tumor was benign. I was unfortunate, I had a very rare form of cancer. But then again, I was born on friday the 13th!!! lol. I can honestly say, though, cancer isnt the first thing someone should think of when they get sick, tired, or even lumpy. The stress doesnt help and unless you have specific risk factors, you are usually going to be one of the lucky ones. See a doctor by all means, but in the meantime, dont assume cancer. I know its all we hear about anymore, but there a gazillion other illnesses, with the same symptoms. its not worth freaking out. take care.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:38 PM   #12
(female)

Cashodeen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annebash
I have to say, Im noticing all these people posting on the cancer boards thinking cancer right away for symptoms that could be a number of things. I think the information age has a down side as we hear many more horror stories of cancer and other illnesses, which in turn gives society the impression that these things are common. They arent. I was one of the unfortunate people to actually GET cancer, at the age of 15. Not leukemia, a tumor in my leg. I was told at the time that they were 99 percent sure the tumor was benign. I was unfortunate, I had a very rare form of cancer. But then again, I was born on friday the 13th!!! lol. I can honestly say, though, cancer isnt the first thing someone should think of when they get sick, tired, or even lumpy. The stress doesnt help and unless you have specific risk factors, you are usually going to be one of the lucky ones. See a doctor by all means, but in the meantime, dont assume cancer. I know its all we hear about anymore, but there a gazillion other illnesses, with the same symptoms. its not worth freaking out. take care.
Well said! Excellent post. I hope you're doing well now and will stay free of cancer.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:10 PM   #13

annebash HB User

Ive been cancer free for 12 years. Im now married with 2 daughters. The surgery on my leg didnt go too well, I got major infections which caused a huge hole in my leg, which took months to close up, but aside from a 26 inch scar, im alright!

Old 08-01-2004, 11:16 PM   #14
(female)

Cashodeen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annebash
Ive been cancer free for 12 years. Im now married with 2 daughters. The surgery on my leg didnt go too well, I got major infections which caused a huge hole in my leg, which took months to close up, but aside from a 26 inch scar, im alright!
Oh gosh, what an awful ordeal you had to go through. But I'm glad to hear you've been cancer free for 12 years!

Closed Thread