It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2004, 02:16 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

surgicaldisaster HB User
Question Anyone have low white cell count...

and find out it was leukemia? I have tested twice with a low white blood count and recently I heard that this can be a sign of leukemia also, not just a high count. I am truly concerned here as I have been soooo tired and had chest pain (they checked everything and it all came out normal, including a nuclear stress test), and I just wanted to know if someone could PLEASE help me? I will be calling my Dr. tommorow since this is really on my mind, but I'd appreciate any input at all!! Thanking you all so much in advance!! Love, Surgical Disaster

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Anyone have low white cell count...

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgicaldisaster
and find out it was leukemia? I have tested twice with a low white blood count and recently I heard that this can be a sign of leukemia also, not just a high count. I am truly concerned here as I have been soooo tired and had chest pain (they checked everything and it all came out normal, including a nuclear stress test), and I just wanted to know if someone could PLEASE help me? I will be calling my Dr. tommorow since this is really on my mind, but I'd appreciate any input at all!! Thanking you all so much in advance!! Love, Surgical Disaster
Although a low white cell count can indicate a type of leukemia, there are many other reasons for low white cell count. The most usual reasons are, stress, fatigue, lack of exercise, low B-12 values, autoimmune disorders such as lupus, fibromyalgia, and of course the big one for this day and age is HIV/AIDS. However, in testing for leukemia, there are quite a few other tests that have to be done in order to get a definitive diagnosis for leukemia. My white blood cell count is low all the time. However, the infection and virus fighting cell counts are sufficient to protect me from most infection. Please don't jump to the worst conclusions first without more information being available.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 03:07 PM   #3

youngchild18 HB User
Question Re: Anyone have low white cell count...

Quote:
i am unsure of having low white blood cells count my mother just told me today that i have a low count and i am very disturbed from this. i am also scared and i need some answers....

Old 07-15-2004, 06:46 AM   #4

Spence HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marimac
My white blood cell count is low all the time. However, the infection and virus fighting cell counts are sufficient to protect me from most infection. Please don't jump to the worst conclusions first without more information being available.
I am exactly the same.

My white cells are a lot lower than everyone elses, but this has been consitent when having checked my records for the past few years.

Get viral blood tests done, glandular fever tests done, and also Auto Immune tests, but it really is very, very rarely its a sign of leukemia.

Old 07-15-2004, 11:28 AM   #5

super girl HB User

I don't want to scare anybody and I'm not in anyway saying that you might have what I have, but I feel I need to share my story. In 1992 when I was 17 years old I got really sick with the flu and my mom took me to the hospital. I was admitted because my white count were extremely low. Doctors at that time thought that I might have leukemia. I didn't and they released me with diagnoses being mono even though all blood test for mono came back negative. For the next 12 years my health had brief periods of opportunistic illnesses and I saw an onocologist yearly my WBC remained between 3.2-4.7. Last xmas I started losing weight. A lot of weight 25 lbs in 6 months. I had strep cronically, swollen gland, bronchitus, e coli infection, sinus infections. I went to my onocolgist with this, he did a blood test WBCS were 3.7. Pretty consistant. He said I was fine. Meanwhile I was getting sicker and losing more weight. My GP was confused, He tested me for mono 3xs. Everytime negative, at one visit he just stood there staring at my chart with a puzzled expression for at least 3 min. Finally at my wits end I called my onocologist and said transfer my records to a larger cancer research institute. They did and within 12 hours of the fax I received a call. They wanted to see me immediately. So I went. They did a bone marrow biopsy, something that my former onocolist had never done. The tests were rushed. The results;cell dyplasia in my bone marrow. What does this mean? Well I'm still learning. The grade of dyplasia is low but there is a good chance it could develope into a lethal form of acute myloid leukemia. The hope is that I can receive a bone marrow transplant before this happens. Being realistic the odds are not in my favor, first I need to find a donor, then I need to survive the transplant and then the bone marrow needs to graft, each step stacking new odds against me. I am telling you this because Sometimes doctors don't listen and you need to make them listen and listen to yourself. If you can't make them listen go to someone else. If I had given in and stopped listeniing to my intuition. I would still be undiagnosed and struggling to find answers. Thank you for listening. I hope that in some way my story will help some of you out find the strength to get anwers when the answers seem so far away. Never stop fighting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to super girl For This Useful Post:
jaynj856 (03-25-2012)
Old 07-15-2004, 11:42 AM   #6

cmm68 HB User

Good for your persistants. I hope things go well for you. My dad has AML since Dec 2002. He is too old (63) to have a bone marrow transplant. He has taken a chemo called Mylotarg, 4 times. Last week, he had a bone marrow biopsy and it still shows dyplasia, which the doctor said he will always have. Yesterday, his white blood count is 2.8. Hang in there and never stop fighting!!

Old 07-16-2004, 12:51 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

surgicaldisaster HB User

Thank you for your story...I will say a prayer for you. This is new for me, never had a low count before. I have not been sick at all either, so I really do not know what to think. Do you think I should see an oncologist? Or, do a repeat blood count and then see? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Surgical Disaster

Old 07-16-2004, 01:57 PM   #8

Spence HB User

Quote:
Thank you for your story...I will say a prayer for you. This is new for me, never had a low count before. I have not been sick at all either, so I really do not know what to think. Do you think I should see an oncologist? Or, do a repeat blood count and then see? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Surgical Disaster
I would have a repeat blood test in a month or two, see what is going on.

If your fighting an infection, you need to give it time to rise back up, so I honestly think to give it two months, and then have a repeat.

Old 07-17-2004, 12:06 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

surgicaldisaster HB User

Oh, also, this might make a big difference, it did turn out that my thyroid numbers are really low.....they are going to repeat this soon to make sure it's accurate, but if it is, could this lower the white cell count? My mom is hypothyroid too, and if I test low again, they will put me on thyroid meds. Anyway, just wondered if that might be the culprit(?) Thanks again!! Love, Surgical Disaster

Old 06-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
(female)

kathy97123 HB User

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I would like to know what happens. When you write about your low blood count, what does it mean when you say 3.2 to 4.7. My white blood count is at 2,300. I was never given numbers such as yours. They started at 4,700 and have gone down from there. Is that the same thing? So would 4,700 be 4.7?

There is just so much that we need to figure out on our own isn't there? I've had these low white blood counts for 8 months and had no other tests except for blood tests to see what else could be wrong. It is nice to know that you are out there.

Kathy

Old 06-06-2006, 08:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

The total White Cell Count is not nearly as important as the individual Absolute count. The differential count takes each kind of blood cell such as lymphocyte, neutrophil, esosinophil, monocyte and basophils and gives an absolute number for each and a percentage of the total count which is very important to know how they are functioning. The most important numbers in relation to opportunistic infections and bacterial infections is the neutrophil. When they drop below 500 you usually get hospitalized in order to provide additional medical care.

Closed Thread