It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User
She went so quick right after diagnosis

My stepmom just died yesterday of acute aggressive leukemia at age 82, the worst kind of leukemia to have said the doctor. We got the diagnosis today.

We are reeling not understanding why no diagnosis was made sooner. Her symptoms were fatigue, anemia for two years and a lung infection that would not go away since spring.

I understand that in her case, it was good she went quick and didn't suffer much and the doctor said there was no treatment for her. But what we do not understand is why they didn't pick this up on her blood tests earlier. They knew she was anemic for 2 years. But what gets me is she went in again a few weeks ago after losing 30 lbs and being too weak to walk, and they didn't bother to check her blood count. My dad said, "Hey, did you check the anemia?" and the nurse said no, okay we'll check it and they did and said "Oh my god. she has no red blood cells, send her to the hospital now."

In the hospital they found she had pnemonia, and by then she started throwing up blood, but was conscious until the day before she died, which was a week later. the doctor said he had never seen anyone with such a low blood count still alive. They gave her 4 units of blood immediately, then another a few days later, then finally made the leukemia diagnosis (first said it was aplastic anemia but the doc at Virginia Mason ordered more tests saying it looked like leukemia). When they told her she had leukemia, she decided to die and they quit the blood transfusions and antibiotics on Wed and she died on Sunday.

Today, one day after her death, we finally got the final diagnosis of acute aggressive leukemia. Is it just me or are the doctors not picking these diseases up when they should? How could this have been picked up earlier? I know she's elderly and it wouldn't have mattered, but what about someone else who could have been treated? The doctor said she probably had leukemia for one to two years before it went aggressive.

In her case, she was spared knowing she had leukemia until one week before she died. But I just read about the very young man who could possibly have been saved had the doctors told him to see an oncologist with that high white blood cell count. That makes me sick.

???

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybird988 For This Useful Post:
Maria Martinez (03-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 07:20 AM   #2

Jenn4USA HB User
Re: She went so quick right after diagnosis

LadyBird,

First and foremost I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I just lost my father to AML, he was 55 when he passed away, he was diagnosed in March and passed away in May. He went to his general doctor 3x and they did not even test him for Cancer thinking that he had a virus. He eventually went to the hospital because he was so weak. They did a bone marrow test and determined he had acute myleocytic leukemia. We thought he would be fine but the chemo got to him quick. I just don't think the doctors in any case see that it would be cancer rather than a general virus. I don't know that my comments are much comfort but I understand your loss and you are in my prayers.

Jenn

Closed Thread