It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2005, 01:04 AM   #1
(female)

countrygal822 HB User
Dr said I had Leukemia

Hi. I'm new here. I will be 54 in a few days. I was told on Dec. 22, 2004 that I may have leukemia. I have a oncologist appt for Jan. 25. My symptoms were...wbw 15.5, blood found in the urine, lymphnodes swollen in my neck. I am also dizzy 24/7. I have high blood pressure that runs about 178/93. I have neck and shoulder pain, along with head aches, and I have night sweats that I have had for years to which the dr. always told me that was part of going through menopause. And I'm being treated for stress. My question is.....doesn't stress and leukemia have similar symptoms?

Last edited by countrygal822; 01-03-2005 at 01:05 AM. Reason: spelled wrong

Old 01-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
(female)

Kerena35 HB User
Re: Dr said I had Leukemia

Hang in there and see what your doc says. Im betting its not Leukemia. For one your WBC is not very high. WBC counts in Leukemia tend to be MUCH, MUCH higher than 15.5. Your other symptoms are also much more likely to be something other than Leukemia. For one, your headaches and dizzy spells could be caused by your high blood pressure. And if the night sweats you've been having for years were caused by leukemia then that means you've had Leukemia for many years also. And if you have had Chronic Leukemia for years then you WBC would have certainly been much higher than 15.5. And Many, many other changes would have been seen in your CBC. And the stress you mentioned could be the cause for ALL your symptoms. And just one more thing to ease your mind. WBC counts also rise due to high stess levels. So relax, id bet good money you DONT have Luekemia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygal822
Hi. I'm new here. I will be 54 in a few days. I was told on Dec. 22, 2004 that I may have leukemia. I have a oncologist appt for Jan. 25. My symptoms were...wbw 15.5, blood found in the urine, lymphnodes swollen in my neck. I am also dizzy 24/7. I have high blood pressure that runs about 178/93. I have neck and shoulder pain, along with head aches, and I have night sweats that I have had for years to which the dr. always told me that was part of going through menopause. And I'm being treated for stress. My question is.....doesn't stress and leukemia have similar symptoms?
I would like to add to the last post regarding the possibility of leukemia. I have been going through menopause for the last 5 years with the night sweats etc. I also take medication for depression and when the medication dose starts to wear off it causes a hot flush sensation due to the antianxiety agent that is in the medication. So, if you drink caffeinated beverages, or take blood pressure medication that could also be the cause of the night sweats. The blood in the urine sounds serious though and I would think the doctor would be more interested in the cause for that. So often, kidney failure is associated with blood in the urine and high blood pressure. Please know that there are plenty of good treatments for leukemia now days and that there are many tests that will be conclusive about leukemia so that you do not have to spend a lot of time wondering about it either.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #4
(female)

orchid23 HB User

I read that you were going to have a BMB, did you ever find out for sure if it was actually leukemia?

Closed Thread