It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

hon HB User
cll or cml which is worst

which is the kind people over 60 get and which is the easiest to live with

Old 01-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: cll or cml which is worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by hon
which is the kind people over 60 get and which is the easiest to live with
The CLL is the most common but either cancer is chronic, can be slow growing and it can convert to aggressive and then cause rapid death.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
(male)

dwp512 HB User

CML can limp along for 5 or even ten years and then transform into the 'blast crrisis' and then it becomes much harder to treat. CLL is an indolent cancer that can limp along forever and people often die with CLL, not from CLL. CLL would likely have a better 10 year survival.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:57 AM   #4

randym431 HB User

Well, there are many new drugs that target CML. And trials for even newer drugs with few side effects. My friend has CML. His doctor just got back from a leukemia seminar in Texas. They concluded that CML "probably" can be cured with these new drugs. or long term remission at least (10 years+).
Bone marrow transplants are an option too. But 30-50% death rate from transplants is a worry.

Last edited by randym431; 03-29-2005 at 11:59 AM.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
(male)

BobE HB User

I've had CLL over a decade now. Never any pblms, other than some becoming alarmed at my white count 'till I tell them why. Never had or needed any treatment. BobE

Old 04-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
(female)

djwrew HB User

Our problem is a newly diagnosed cll in the husband who is a disabled vet to begin with due to agent orange. He has diabetes II, skin cancer, and numerous ailments to which the cll has recently been added. Our biggest problem is that he was an over the road truck driver and a machinist, machine shop worker and a mechanic...he has been pulled out of every career choice due to the latest diagnosis of the cll. We are being told by the VA to stop trying to work and find a hobby...since they compensate him for the disease. It is difficult to survive in this day and time without work...the VA leaves much to be desired although we do appreciate what they do for us. Do others have to stop working? I think it has been the biggest reason for depression following the diagnosis. No one has addressed the depression part of the disease here. Has anyone else had the problem???
Thank you in advance. DJW.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:26 PM   #7

Aimes HB User

My mother had cll since I was 12 years old (I'm 22 now). Work was never a prob. The only lengthy period she needed to take out of work was a few months when she was having her bone marrow transplant. She was almost always energetic. The downside to cll is it can change very quickly. She died last month because it had changed to a very aggressive form. She was only sick in the hospital for a week before she died. So, some of the newer treatments may be worth looking into.

Closed Thread