It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2001, 06:36 PM   #1

Huneeb1974 HB User
Question Diet and Leukemia

I am trying to find some information on the best diet a person with Leukemia can eat. I know that nutrition and vitamins and minerals are always a good way to combat the effects of all kinds of diseases.

I would appreciate any references of some good books on the topic.

Thank you all for reading this.

Old 08-30-2001, 08:13 PM   #2

Ried HB User
I had leukemia and when I was going thru chemo and all that I had to stick with a low microbial diet, meaning no raw fruits and veggies (because they carry bacteria) basicaly you gotta boil or steam everything. You've also got to overcook ALL your meat if you eat any. And when it comes to fruit be sure to eat only ones with thick skins ie. oranges, bananas, grapefruit(theres' a certain type of medication that you cant eat grapefruit while your on it so check with your doctor b4) um...what else oh yeah ABSOLUTLEY NO FAST FOOD it carries waaay too much germs. uh...oh yeah when it comes to drinks you cant drink anything thats been out in the open for more than 20 minutes cause it builds bacteria. I think thats basicaly it. So its not so bad you just gotta be extra careful when it comes to preparing your foods.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2001, 02:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
My niece had leukemia and after her transplant the hospital gave her a list of foods she couldnt eat. Now that she is better she eats a lot of organic foods but basically has a normal diet and still has the milk drinks with all the vits in etc. Ask the hospital, they are the best people to ask. There are lots of things you have to avoid, even flowers and mushrooms and the bacteria thing is a big issue.

Old 09-06-2001, 09:22 PM   #4

grannyrninspring HB User
There are many books available--you just must realize not all are going to be beneficial. Your best bet would be to have your dr refer you to a registered dietian. They can review your disease process and customize a diet that would be the best for you--you know, one that would actually be based around foods you might really eat!! I've found that in just going blindly to find info such as diets (my brother had AML) that they had these "great" diets--all with foods that would make most of us gag!!! You didn't mention if you are on chemo at this time or just meds or what...medications do need to be considered in choosing many foods - due to interactions....Good luck!

Old 09-13-2001, 02:35 PM   #5

martha1014 HB User
Avoid folic acid - it feeds leukemia cells. Fortified cereals and multivitamins have folic acid. My daughter's oncologist gave her 10,000 units of Vitamin A, plus Vit. C and D while on chemo. can't remember the amounts of C and D. Also, we avoided all SUGAR. This was in 1977 - 1981. She was 6 years old when diagnosed and is now almost 31 and considered cured.

Old 09-20-2001, 01:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
Martha, you must be so grateful your daughter was cured. Did she have a transplant or did she just stay in remission? My niece had a transplant a year ago, she is only 5 now and is doing well, we have to watch she doesnt pick up bugs etc.

Old 09-22-2001, 03:06 PM   #7

martha1014 HB User
Cinderella, yes we are very grateful of course, even though there are some long term problems. She did not have to have a transplant. She was in remission for 1 year, than had a CNS relapse and had to go through induction therapy and radiation again. Then she was on maintenance chemo for 3 more years. I hope your niece continues to do well.

Old 11-25-2001, 08:19 PM   #8

MMM61 HB User
Cool

If you have time read the cookbook Cooking the whole foods way by Christina Pirello. Her story is in the intoduction. I had met her last year at a summer confrence in Massachusetts. She was 26 at the time of being diagnosed with an acute form of Lukemia. She was given 3 to 6 months to live...That was at least 18 years ago. She has healed herself through Macrobiotics... Very intersting... Worth checking into.

Closed Thread