It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2003, 09:44 PM   #1

Lisasv1 HB User
Post Could Leukemia be inherited?

I was wondering if Leukemia could be inherited. The only reason I ask is because on my father's side of the family, 2 people died from it.
My father's brother died from Leukemia when he was very young. Also my dad's sister had a daughter (my cousin) who died of leukemia. I dont remember her since she died when I was very young.

I'm curious since I am always "sickly" meaning, I get sick from colds and sinus infections all the time, I'm anemic but partically due to being born with beta-thalassemia trait, I have very small bones that break easily (I've broken several, even broke my tailbone delivering my son), I often get very dizzy also.

Should I ask my doctor if I should have some tests done? I hope I'm just not over-reacting. Also, let me know if it can be inherited.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2003, 12:34 AM   #2

Naozumi HB User
Cancer can potentially run in families, but just because some family members have had it doesn't mean you'll necessarily get it. If you have concerns, talk to your doctor and he or she can perform the necessary tests to see if you have it or not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2003, 11:34 AM   #3

allisok HB User
Please don't worry, Im sure you are ok. You are probably right in the fact that you get colds easily due to being anemic. Do you take iron supplements?
As far as Leukemia being inherited, and this is only from what I read, they say it could be in the genes, more prevalent in downs syndrome or could be caused by environmental factors or exposure to certain chemicals or pollutants. Another words, they don't have a clue. There really isn't a definative answer to what cause's leukemia.
If you are scared to ease your mind have a CBC done and a complete physical.
Take care and keep us posted.

Old 07-29-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
(female)

fazio HB User
You mentioned that you have beta thalassemia minor. That probably has a lot to do with how you feel. Even tho Drs will tell you there are no symptoms, there are.My husband and son both have it. they have the same symptoms you describe. We finally found a Dr. that agrees. It depends on where you live and if the Dr. is familiar with thalassemia. good luck!

Old 07-29-2003, 06:11 PM   #5
(female)

fazio HB User
By the way, no one with thalassemia should take iron. It does more harm and can build up in the liver.

Closed Thread