It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #1
(male)

degreesofsanity HB User
Post My 2 yr old son has a swollen lymphnode under his ear

About a month ago, my wife and I took our son to Cancun with us on a vacation. He is almost 2.5 years old. He came down with strep (fever, red throat)while we were there and was given antibiotics. About two weeks after we returned, he had a fever again. We took him to his Pediatrician and a test came back slightly positive for strep. We also mentioned a swollen gland (Lymphnode?) under his right ear. She said that was an odd place for strep to affect but that it was nothing to worry about and shrugged it off. That was a month ago. I have been keeping check on the swollen Lymphnode and it is still swollen, about two centimeters long and it has me concerned. He plays normally. Has some bruises on his shins, but I think they are from normal play. But the swollen lymphnode has me concerned that it could be something serious. Does anyone here have any advice? I love this little boy more than my own life. I don't know if I'm being paranoid. Any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks,

Old 07-08-2003, 09:16 PM   #2

Sizzler HB User
The strep could certainly cause the swollen lymphnode and it sometimes takes time for lymphnodes to go back down. My son who is now 16, has very sensitive lymphnodes. They enlarge even when he gets a scratch in the area of the node. He has a slight case of acne and just this infection has caused his lymph nodes to enlarge. The doctor did a biopsy on a lymphnode behind his ear when he was 7 and it was completly normal. His just overreact. I understand your concern...we have been panicked by enlarged lymph nodes since my son was 2. I think you should have your doctor explain what she meant by the lymph node being in a weird place for strep...I am sure it means nothing but she owes you an explanation. Also, I would continue to express my concern and if the lymphnode remains large insist on further testing, just to put your mind at ease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
(male)

degreesofsanity HB User
Hello Sizzler,

Thanks for the response....I really do appreciate it.
I had swollen lymphnodes myself that I noticed at 15. I didn't want to tell anyone and upset them, so I kept them to myself. I had them for several years...but now I'm 33 and just fine. Lymphnode enlargement confuses and frightens me. I don't want to freak out about it, but I do. I'll just keep an eye on his for another month or so and go from there. Thanks again for the feedback. This forum is a good source of information.

Brad

Old 07-09-2003, 08:36 AM   #4

esract HB User
Talking

Hello Brad,
Don't worry. In young children, the immune system is very good and very active. A child's immune system is learning how to cope with all the bad bugs in the world. It is quite common for their lymph nodes to enlarge, just as it is for tonsils, also in the immune system's arsenal of weapons, to enlarge. Nodes and tonsils are meant to capture the bugs and engulf them. Other symptoms might indicate leukemia, such as extreme lethargy, which it doesn't sound like the child has. I agree with your other responder, have the doctor check it out if it worries you. Still, leukemia is not a common illness, and I don't think you should fret too much.
Ellen

Old 09-21-2003, 05:50 PM   #5

luvmyhubby HB User
Brad, Maybe you should contac your doctor and have your little guy looked at. I have a three year old and when he wa sabout 9 months old I noticed some pes size lymph nodes around his ears were swollen. It turned out to be nothing but still if you are concerned get it checked out I can certainly understand your love for your son being a mom of an incredable little guy as well. Anyway if you get chance check out my posting maybe you can help me

Old 09-27-2003, 12:08 AM   #6

enyceexdanny HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by degreesofsanity:
Hello Sizzler,

Thanks for the response....I really do appreciate it.
I had swollen lymphnodes myself that I noticed at 15. I didn't want to tell anyone and upset them, so I kept them to myself. I had them for several years...but now I'm 33 and just fine. Lymphnode enlargement confuses and frightens me. I don't want to freak out about it, but I do. I'll just keep an eye on his for another month or so and go from there. Thanks again for the feedback. This forum is a good source of information.

Brad

Brad, you say that you had swollen lymphnodes since 15 and still fine. So, how many swollen ones did you have?. How big were they? Were they hard?.

I'm just wondering ,because I've had em for 3 years. I'm very frustrating not knowing what may be wrong.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2003, 01:03 PM   #7
(male)

starling80 HB User
Swollen lymph nodes confuse me, too. I'm 31 and have had two slightly enlarged lymph nodes (one just below each ear, behind the jaw) since approximately age 20. The one on the left is around 2cm in diameter and the one on the right is slightly smaller. Doctor basically dismissed them when I mentioned them on a checkup after I had walking pneumonia at age 22, so I haven't given them much thought since. Hope I don't regret it later.

Old 11-20-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User
Re: My 2 yr old son has a swollen lymphnode under his ear

when i was young i had 2 lymphnodes, one on each side below my ear that just "hung out" i got strep a lot when i was a kid, i am 27 now and the nodes are gone, and there are no problems. i would just keep an eye on it. maybe even have some bllod drawn to check whits blood cells. i am sure it will be fine, but that way you will have a base line to go off of if it should get larger. just a thought. by the way, you sound like a fantastic parent.

Old 11-25-2003, 10:12 PM   #9
Inactive

cindig HB User

Oh man, when I read these posts I was taken back about 23 years ago. My son, who is now 24 had an enlarged lymph gland in his neck. It absolutely drove me crazy. I worried all of the time, even had blood tests done. It was enlarged for years. I've heard several parents say the same about their children too. Unless he has other symptoms, I would not be the least bit concerned about a large lymph node, expecially since he had strep throat. It may take years to go down. I think when kids are young they have a lot of little infections that we aren't even aware of that don't need medication. I'm sure things are taken care of by now since your post was in July.

Old 11-27-2003, 07:35 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

My 2 year old went through this in Feb of this year. We were told that it was most likely lymphoma and to expect the worst. He had dark circles under his eyes and was losing weight. I cried on a regular basis for him.

He went in at the end of Feb and had the lump biopsied. They took the entire lymph node. They also took his adnoids and tonsils. They put tubes in both ears. The node was simply reactive and the other symptoms were caused by all of the swelling in his throat and sinuses. He is fine now.

We were told that the nodes under the ear, which is where his was also, can be very reactive. Good luck to you

Old 11-27-2003, 07:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Another thing they told me is that reactive lymph nodes can take months to go down. My son had to have his removed as it was actually holding the infection. That is why it was growing. HTH

Old 04-20-2004, 03:24 AM   #12

starry04 HB User

Hello there,

Lymph nodes are responsible for protecting the body against infection, and, like all lymph tissue - including tonsils and adenoids - they tend to increase in size during childhood and then shrink and become less numerous as a child reaches adolescence.

The most common area where we see lymph nodes is the neck, usually the region under the jaw and sometimes in the back of the neck. Lymph nodes can also be felt or noticed at the back of the head, (called the occipital area) especially in babies).

Although the most common site for lymph nodes is in the head and neck area, we can also find lymph nodes in the groin and armpit areas. Most of these lymph nodes feel like small peas, but can get bigger. As a matter of fact, they get bigger during an infection. For example, a child with a throat infection will usually have enlarged nodes in the neck area. A child with a skin infection around the thigh may have enlarged nodes on the same side in the groin or inguinal area. This enlargement means that the lymph nodes have "reacted" to a local infection to help fend it off.

As a reflection of a local infection, nodes get bigger, then shrink as the infection clears. This cycle can continue a few times during childhood. In general, physicians can tell if the nodes are following a normal pattern, based on their size, texture and location.

Are these bumps or nodes related to serious problems? A possible but infrequent complication of an enlarged lymph node is bacterial infection of the node itself (known as "adenitis"). In this case one can easily tell that there is an infection as the node becomes very big, very tender, painful and quite red. In some cases there may even be associated fever.

How are these treated? When the infection is small and detected early enough, antibiotics taken by mouth are usually prescribed. In other cases, the child may need to be admitted to hospital for intravenous antibiotics and possibly to drain the infected node (which usually contains pus).

Of course not all bumps are nodes, and while most noticeable nodes are not worrisome, in rare cases the cause may be more serious like cancer (lymphoma). This is why lymph nodes persisting in an enlarged form or getting bigger beyond a six-week period are usually removed (biopsy) and examined.

Happily, this is not what usually happens, as most noticeable lymph nodes in children are not serious and shrink or go away on their own.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Closed Thread