It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 07:56 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User
Question Questions

Hi, I don't really think I have leukemia but I was just wondering if normal blood work would reveal if you have it or not. I've had some tests for mono and my thyroid and stuff like that and I'd think something would show up if I had leukemia but what do I know? Also, what do these "little dots" look like? Over the past few years I keep getting little itty bitty red dots right under the surface of my skin that are so small you almost can't see them. I have quite a good amount of them on my arms but not overwhelmingly..

Old 11-02-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
(female)

RachelGrace HB User
Re: Questions

Have you had a CBC w/ DIFF? If you have leukemia, that will most likely be very irregular. Have you talked to your doctor about the dots? From what you say, it might be petechiae, but I am no medical expert, so if you have not asked your doctor already, please do. Some people just naturally get them more than others - I tend to get a few every once in a while for no explainable reason - and most things can be explained by something other than leukemia.

Hope you get better soon!

~Rachel Grace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

kelley_bsb HB User

Thanks for the reply, I don't even know what a CBC with DIFF is so I'd venture to say I haven't had one.. only the normal tests for thyroid and such.. I don't believe I have leukemia I just heard that red dots were a sign and also tiredness and figured I may as well look into it

Old 11-10-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jectac HB User

Kelly,

A CBC with DIFF is a Complete Blood Count with Differential. The "Differential" is when they catagorize the different White Blood Cells and count them. There are different types of White Blood Cells such as Neutrophils, Eosinophils, Monocytes, etc. Additionally, they count your Platelets and Red Blood Cells.

There are a number of reasons for variations of these levels. An increase in White Blood Cells can be simply from an infection. Your doctor would be looking for abnormalities in a number of areas.

Your petechiae may be becasue you just have it. I have a number of spots on my hands and arms. This alone is not an indication of Leukemia.

I would imagine that when your doctor ordered test to see if you had mono, that they looked at all of your counts. I would call him/her to verify this and put you mind at ease.

Last edited by jectac; 11-10-2005 at 11:18 AM.

Closed Thread