It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
(male)

windchase1 HB User
Lower WBC Count

I had a liver panel done and I got the results back. The good news is there is no indication of liver problem. Here are the bad news.

My Albumin level is 5.1 which is higher than the normal range of 3.4-5.0 as indicated on the report.

My 'Total Protein' is 8.4 which is higher than the normal range is 6.3-8.2 as indicated on the report. I read on the web that higher than normal 'Total Protein' points to blood caner.

My WBC count is 4.9 which is to the low side of the normal range 4.8-10.8. And I have also read on the web that a 3.0-5.0 range of WBC count indicates 'mild leukopenia' which is cancer related. That really freaked me out.

Should I worry that I have some kind of blood cancer now? Should I take more test to rule out the possibility? Please help.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: Lower WBC Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchase1
I had a liver panel done and I got the results back. The good news is there is no indication of liver problem. Here are the bad news.

My Albumin level is 5.1 which is higher than the normal range of 3.4-5.0 as indicated on the report.

My 'Total Protein' is 8.4 which is higher than the normal range is 6.3-8.2 as indicated on the report. I read on the web that higher than normal 'Total Protein' points to blood caner.

My WBC count is 4.9 which is to the low side of the normal range 4.8-10.8. And I have also read on the web that a 3.0-5.0 range of WBC count indicates 'mild leukopenia' which is cancer related. That really freaked me out.

Should I worry that I have some kind of blood cancer now? Should I take more test to rule out the possibility? Please help.
First and foremost ask your doctor. Secondly, a tenth of a point over the far end range usually means nothing. If testing for a progressive disease, the doctor would monitor for greater or progressive changes over time. ( Say 6 months or so. Unless there are other symptoms, or tests to go with these reports the tests are quite normal actually.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
(male)

windchase1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merimac
First and foremost ask your doctor. Secondly, a tenth of a point over the far end range usually means nothing. If testing for a progressive disease, the doctor would monitor for greater or progressive changes over time. ( Say 6 months or so. Unless there are other symptoms, or tests to go with these reports the tests are quite normal actually.
I have just found the reports of my blood tests taken in 2001 and 2002. Again there are good and bad news after I read them.

The good news is I am not too worried about the low WBC count now. Because the count in 2001 and 2002 were almost exactly the same as it is now. So if there is a problem with it, I guess I would have known by now.

But the bad news is I found my globulin has gone up a lot. It was 2.3 in 2001 and 2.0 in 2002. But it has elevated to 3.3 now. Even though 3.3 is still within the normal range, I am really worried about the huge jump especially when elevated globulin level often points to blood cancer.

Any opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-10-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
(female)

jcjwillis HB User

My daughter has a low white blood count and had had it for some time now. She went to a oncologist and was told that she was fine. That some people have a low blood count. Hope this has helped! (I know we were relieved when we found that out.)

Old 12-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by windchase1

I think you still need to consult your doctor. If the ranges were given they may have been different in 2001. Also, age makes a difference as well and that will soon be 5 years ago. 5 years aging means a lot with some blood tests.

Closed Thread