It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 10:51 PM   #1

drsunshine HB User
Untreated MDS - Prognosis

Dear friends,

How long does normally an untreated myelodysplastic syndrome patient survive ?

Regards

Dr.Sunshine

Old 04-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: Untreated MDS - Prognosis

MDS is an unsual disease in that the treatment only starts when the condition of the blood counts is at a level that the body is in distress. For instance, if the platelets become too low to prevent bleeding, packed platelet tranfusions will be given, if bone marrow failure is at a younger age a stemcell transplant or other major solutions can be achieved. Survival in all instances depends on the age and physical condition of the patient and is dependent on factors too numerous to discuss in this forum. The statistics are misleading and do not provide individual information and will discourage some and provide false hope for others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
(female)

myohmy HB User
Re: Untreated MDS - Prognosis

Dr. Sunshine. I may have MDS. I posted on the cancer page. I am a 31 year old female with a history of low white counts. a recent bone marrow biopsy showed that I have an abnormal chromosome. This seem so rare please tell me more about you or your loved one. I want to know what to expect for my life. My doctor is talking bone marrow transplant. I feel this would be too risky since I have a pretty good quality of life. I get tired quickly and I'm underweight with a loss of appetite but generally I am well. I just wish to find someone who is in my situation so I can relate with them.

Closed Thread