It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
(female)

searchandrescue HB User
why a repeat bone marrow biopsy?

My friend had a bone marrow biopsy 2 months ago by a hemotologist and didn't say if it was normal or abnormal. He just told her that she would need a repeat in 6 months. Not understanding to why she would have to repeat if there wasn't anything wrong.

I know her symptoms are getting worse. she did do ok for about a month, now she is back in bed no energy no appetite and she looks like she did a few months ago. its like she keeps having relapses of the symptoms. and its always the same.

ok could the reason for the bone marrow biopsy be that there was something and the doctor didn't want her to worry and wanted to do the watch and wait and repeat the biopsy to see if there is any changes. She is schedualed to go back for the biopsy in Feb of 07.

Has anyone gone through this that could help me out here. I just always thougth that the doctor has to have good medical evidence to do repeats especially the bone marrow because it is expensive. and i can't see her insurance paying for it a second time if there is nothing.

Last edited by searchandrescue; 10-22-2006 at 01:44 AM.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: why a repeat bone marrow biopsy?

I can't say what the insurance company will pay or not pay, but I do know that if the bone marrow showed changes from normal, the doctor wants to see if the changes are repairing or getting worse. If you catch a bone renewal process in the beginning it looks like abnormal, but if it is a renewal process the next look would see normal. If the changes have gotten worse, the cause might be more diagnoseable. It is not always a cancerous process. Some times it is a nutrition process or osteoporosis process. It is not pleasant but not malignant either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread