It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User
AML Diagnosis, Can someone help?????

My Dad was diagnosed with AML yesterday, my family is completely freaked out because the doctor says that he is far too weak to handle any aggressive treatments like chemo....Can anyone help? He is 80 years old, but up until he began getting sick you would have thought he was about 65. I just can't think of giving up if there is something that we can do!!! His white count is below 1 and his hemaglobin and platelets are really low as well. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!! Many Thanks!
CrazyLife

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
(female)

AmorGraff HB User
Re: AML Diagnosis, Can someone help?????

Hi there - you dad is old and AML is common in older people - all you can really do is tell him to DRINK pleny and eat as much as he can.. tell him to be strong -
it is important that he drinks anything up to 3 litres when he is on his CHEMO.
as it will keep the bad chemicals for staying in his body too long..
please take that advice, as it will help. be postive and keep him happy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jectac HB User

The chemotherapy treatment for AML is very difficult. It is very toxic on one's system and infections and damage to other organs, such as liver, lungs and heart are significant. Chemo completely wipes out the immune system, giving infection an opportunity to set in. Most elderly patients cannot handle the long term treatment for AML.

You may want to get a second oppinion on the treatment of your dad. They may be able to give him a "lighter protocol" of chemo, to control the leukemia and extend his life.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

tracy

Old 03-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
(female)

beckyb46 HB User

Hi

I am sorry about your Dad. I have CLL and when I was dianosed my RBC counts were low. And one time, my wbc were below 1. So maybe they can give him a blood transfusion I have had many. And they can give a shot called neutropin it is given for 5 days in a row for his WBC's. Talk to his Dr. about it. At least he will feel better.

Keep us posted

Take care

Closed Thread