It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

GoPytn18 HB User
Low Neutrophils

Hi everyone. This is my first post here and I need some advice or support, something!
My brother in law was admitted to the hospital on Thursday, the 22nd of March with flu-like symptoms...fever, body aches, loss of appetite, dehydration, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes (neck). He was given IV fluids as well as a potent antibiotic. The main reason for his admission was his dangerously low white blood cell count of 700. His neutrophil count was at zero. Daily his wbc count increased, slowly....700, 1100, 2200, 2900. His neutrophil count raised to 100 and stayed there for 2 days. It went to 400 on Monday and today it's at 600. An Oncologist performed a bone marrow biopsy yesterday and we're expecting the results sometime this week. His symptoms actually began on Sunday the 18th and his first visit to the doctor resulted in "It's just a virus". Of course, that story changed once they did the cbc on Thursday. They can find no bacteria in his blood, which led them to perform the bone marrow biopsy. His fever broke yesterday...finally...and since his neutrophils had come up a bit, they sent him home, to be in isolation and he'll continue to have blood drawn daily to check his wbc counts. Unfortunately the dr. is leaning toward the possibility of leukemia and it's scaring all of us. He has pretty much ruled out a virus of any sort. I don't know what I need, some reassurance, some advice, anything. This waiting is so difficult for all of us. If anyone can offer any advice, please share! Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: Low Neutrophils

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPytn18 View Post
Hi everyone. This is my first post here and I need some advice or support, something!
My brother in law was admitted to the hospital on Thursday, the 22nd of March with flu-like symptoms...fever, body aches, loss of appetite, dehydration, sore throat, swollen lymph nodes (neck). He was given IV fluids as well as a potent antibiotic. The main reason for his admission was his dangerously low white blood cell count of 700. His neutrophil count was at zero. Daily his wbc count increased, slowly....700, 1100, 2200, 2900. His neutrophil count raised to 100 and stayed there for 2 days. It went to 400 on Monday and today it's at 600. An Oncologist performed a bone marrow biopsy yesterday and we're expecting the results sometime this week. His symptoms actually began on Sunday the 18th and his first visit to the doctor resulted in "It's just a virus". Of course, that story changed once they did the cbc on Thursday. They can find no bacteria in his blood, which led them to perform the bone marrow biopsy. His fever broke yesterday...finally...and since his neutrophils had come up a bit, they sent him home, to be in isolation and he'll continue to have blood drawn daily to check his wbc counts. Unfortunately the dr. is leaning toward the possibility of leukemia and it's scaring all of us. He has pretty much ruled out a virus of any sort. I don't know what I need, some reassurance, some advice, anything. This waiting is so difficult for all of us. If anyone can offer any advice, please share! Thank you!!
It sounds like your brother could have been exposed to radiation or other toxin that wiped out his wbc count. Sometimes HIV related illnesses can do that too. Wait to see what the doctor says. Cancer is not the only Cause of hematological illness.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
(female)

GoPytn18 HB User

Thanks for the info, it's just been so hard waiting for the results, and I think they were specifically looking for Leukemia. He had an HIV test and as far as I know that test had to have come back negative, because I didn't hear otherwise. I guess we'll know today or tomorrow, it's just the waiting that's hard.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
(female)

tracygirl HB User

Quote:
GoPytn18 Thanks for the info, it's just been so hard waiting for the results, and I think they were specifically looking for Leukemia. He had an HIV test and as far as I know that test had to have come back negative, because I didn't hear otherwise. I guess we'll know today or tomorrow, it's just the waiting that's hard.
Hi. I hope your brother in law is much better and you have received some answers. You and your family are in my thoughts. Please let us know how he is doing. All the best.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #5
(male)

Nagschitta HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPytn18 View Post
Thanks for the info, it's just been so hard waiting for the results, and I think they were specifically looking for Leukemia. He had an HIV test and as far as I know that test had to have come back negative, because I didn't hear otherwise. I guess we'll know today or tomorrow, it's just the waiting that's hard.
Hello there, I want your advice on this. My friend who has suffered from chikungunya for almost 5 months and was normal for 2 months has suddenly come up with a really dangerous situation. His WBC count was 3500 three days before and came down drastically to 400 yesterday and it has further gone down to 320 today. He has been kept in isolation and is being treated for 'viral fever' he has from the past three days inspite of taking in high power antibiotics. A bone marrow sample was taken yesterday for analysis. Results are awaited. Sonography revealed that there was a slight enlargement of liver and spleen. Please suggest or comment anything you have to say on this. The reason for such a drop is unknown and is the biggest worrying factor. any comments will be very helpful.. Thanks in advance.

Closed Thread