It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

LucyT HB User
Unhappy Low WBC - Anxiety and Worry

I'm new and have been reading a lot of posts. I see a lot of knowledge here and hopefully someone can shed some light on my blood work. My normal wbc count has always been on low at 4. About 6 months ago I started taking Zoloft and had some bad sides (diarrhea 6x day). WBC count dropped to 3.8 and was switched to celexa 10 mg. Stll had sides but less severe. Developed tingling in hands and feet which turned out to be from celexa but I didn't know at the time. Discontinued celexa no more tingling. Found on celexa webside that an infrequent side can be leukopenia. After 6 mos on celexa wbc dropped to 2.6. Am off celexa for 1.5 wks. When nurse saw my blood results she said don't worry but think you should see hemo dr. Went to him one week ago. Nurse said he would probably monitor my blood for a few months. When I went to hemo dr, I waited an hour in room and my anxiety grew. He entered room and put out his hand to shake hands and with other hand gave me a sheet of paper for bone marrow biopsy. He has two paragraphs checked, the first stating that he is checking for leukemia and lymphoma and the second paragraph says may be used to stage lymphoma and hodgkins disease. I fell apart and started crying. He was as cold as a rock. Said nothing reassuring or positive. I asked him if he though I had leukemia and he wouldn't even answer. The paper has an explicit description of the bmb which is terrifying. He said it would only take 5 min because I am thin (great news). Even in all my panic I told him based on one blood test I thought it was premature for a bmb. He said my white cells that fight infection are at 900 and should be 1800. Below is my actual test results. I am not going back to this hemo doctor because of his lack of compassion.

Yesterday I had a colonoscopy with iv antibiotics for mvp. Removed one small polyp. The gastro dr said he didn't think the blood work was that bad and that the hemo dr jumped the gun. They both work in the same clinic. I mentioned the hemo dr to one of the rn's yesterday and she said she's worked with him the hospital and he is tough. I could tell by the way she said it and her expression that she didn't like him either.

WBC 2.6 (4.3 - 10.8) L
Red Cell 4.28 Normal
Hemoglobin 13.8 Normal
Hematocrit 39.4% (normal)
Mean Cell Volume 92.2 Normal
mean cell hgb 32.2 (27 - 31) H
mean cell hgb con 34.9 normal
rdw 11 (11.5 - 14/5) L
granulocytes% 33.3 (50 - 75) L
basophils 2.3 (0 - 2) H
monocytes % 7.5 normal
lymphocytes % 54.8 (20-44) HH
eosinophils% 2.1 normal
granulocytes (abs) .9 (2.2 - 8.1) L
basophils (abs).1 normal
monocytes .2 normal
lymphocytes abs 1.4 normal
eosinophils .1 normal
platelets 192 normal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
(male)

caliper HB User
Re: Low WBC - Anxiety and Worry

Hemotologists see cancer patients all the time....to them a person who is just scheduled for the BMB procedure is in a far better place than somebody who is actually diagnosed and undergoing chemo. So, you should not expect them to relate to your anxieties as a normal person would.

I am not a Doctor. But, in my opinion, I do not see too many abnormalities in your results (except for the WBC - which you report has always been on the lower side for you). Anyways, how long has it been since your last blood workup. If it has been more than a month, I suggest you get another CBC to recheck the numbers.

Also, if I were you I would probably go ahead with the BMB (even though I feel it is somehwhat premature for the doc to order it at this time). The procedure hurts a bit(from what I understand, )....but you will get a final answer instead of having to live with the uncertainty of not knowing which will keep your anxiety alive.

Last edited by caliper; 05-16-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
(female)

LucyT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyT View Post
I'm new and have been reading a lot of posts. I see a lot of knowledge here and hopefully someone can shed some light on my blood work. My normal wbc count has always been on low at 4. About 6 months ago I started taking Zoloft and had some bad sides (diarrhea 6x day). WBC count dropped to 3.8 and was switched to celexa 10 mg. Stll had sides but less severe. Developed tingling in hands and feet which turned out to be from celexa but I didn't know at the time. Discontinued celexa no more tingling. Found on celexa webside that an infrequent side can be leukopenia. After 6 mos on celexa wbc dropped to 2.6. Am off celexa for 1.5 wks. When nurse saw my blood results she said don't worry but think you should see hemo dr. Went to him one week ago. Nurse said he would probably monitor my blood for a few months. When I went to hemo dr, I waited an hour in room and my anxiety grew. He entered room and put out his hand to shake hands and with other hand gave me a sheet of paper for bone marrow biopsy. He has two paragraphs checked, the first stating that he is checking for leukemia and lymphoma and the second paragraph says may be used to stage lymphoma and hodgkins disease. I fell apart and started crying. He was as cold as a rock. Said nothing reassuring or positive. I asked him if he though I had leukemia and he wouldn't even answer. The paper has an explicit description of the bmb which is terrifying. He said it would only take 5 min because I am thin (great news). Even in all my panic I told him based on one blood test I thought it was premature for a bmb. He said my white cells that fight infection are at 900 and should be 1800. Below is my actual test results. I am not going back to this hemo doctor because of his lack of compassion.

Yesterday I had a colonoscopy with iv antibiotics for mvp. Removed one small polyp. The gastro dr said he didn't think the blood work was that bad and that the hemo dr jumped the gun. They both work in the same clinic. I mentioned the hemo dr to one of the rn's yesterday and she said she's worked with him the hospital and he is tough. I could tell by the way she said it and her expression that she didn't like him either.

WBC 2.6 (4.3 - 10.8) L
Red Cell 4.28 Normal
Hemoglobin 13.8 Normal
Hematocrit 39.4% (normal)
Mean Cell Volume 92.2 Normal
mean cell hgb 32.2 (27 - 31) H
mean cell hgb con 34.9 normal
rdw 11 (11.5 - 14/5) L
granulocytes% 33.3 (50 - 75) L
basophils 2.3 (0 - 2) H
monocytes % 7.5 normal
lymphocytes % 54.8 (20-44) HH
eosinophils% 2.1 normal
granulocytes (abs) .9 (2.2 - 8.1) L
basophils (abs).1 normal
monocytes .2 normal
lymphocytes abs 1.4 normal
eosinophils .1 normal
platelets 192 normal

Old 05-18-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
(female)

LucyT HB User

I messed up trying to post an update. I've been sick the last few days with flu. Caught it from husband who didn't say anything about a sore throat until he had it for two days. Went to the dr yesterday and he only gave me cough medicine. I have a tickle in my throat and can't stop coughing. Had a low grade fever when at drs but normal since. Last blood was on 4/27. Talked to dr yesterday about my concerns because this is the first time I saw him (last time saw nurse who sent me to hemo). He doesn't seem concerned since my wbc count is normally low. He said wait 4 wks and repeat. At that time celexa will be completely out of system. Thank you for your response Caliber.

Closed Thread