It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
multiple myeloma

I have been diagnosed with m.myeloma.

Does anyone here have any experience with this disease? It is in some respects similar to leukemia as it is a cancer of the bone marrow plasma.

My kidney function is low, I have low IgM and IgA and high IgG counts and an slightly anemic.
I do not have, at this time, osteoporosis, lytic lesions or greater than 10% abnormal plasma cells in the marrow(one bone marrow biopsy, right hip)

Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
(female)

tiffany1496 HB User
Re: multiple myeloma

I had 2 great grand parents that had MM. I don't know much about it. My doctor is doing some blood testing for MM on me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

Hi, My mother has Multiple Myeloma. She's had it for over ten years and has been very fortunate. She has experienced the following treatments: VAD, thalidomide (didn't work, made her psychotic), revlimid (briefly, insurance problems prevented this from extension which is a shame considering this is the newest and hottest drug on the market for Myeloma). She's currently back on VAD. She had a bone marrow transplant a few years ago but that really didn't help her much. What phase are you in?

My mother hasn't had any severe bone deterioration however recently she broke a rib. How is a big mystery but to me, that's a sign that her bones aren't as resilient as they were throughout the years she's been battling this disease.

Have your doctor do a bone scan to see if the myeloma has affected your bones. Also, hemoglobin shouldn't be under 10 although some cancer centers will wait until it's dangerously low (like 7) until prescribing a transfusion (unfortunately, my mother's hospital has changed their policy and will not give her blood even though her hemoglobin is 9.7, she has a blood clot, a nasty chest cold, a fractured rib, neuropathy and is a 75 year old woman. This concerns me.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany1496 View Post
I had 2 great grand parents that had MM. I don't know much about it. My doctor is doing some blood testing for MM on me.
So has it been proven that Myeloma is genetic? I was under the impression that it wasn't.

Closed Thread