It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

Winter1967 HB User
leukemia has relapsed...2nd remission...waiting for transplant

I am a 40 yr old female that was diagnosed in 2006 with aml m4..It took 3 sets of weekly chemo and 7 weeks in the hospital to get mine into remission. Mine worried the doctors because it was so hard to beat down.My 5 sisters were typed and not one matched.I decided to try my luck and stay in remission rather than chance a mud transplant.Well,as luck would haveit I relapsed in april.The doctors pulled me in and hit me with more hard chemo and more chemo and finally I have achieved a 2nd remission.I then was sent to Mayo in Rochester and put through a battery of test and they have called me and they have 2 perfect matches.I am waiting for them to call me and tell me to come back.They have to contact the donors and make sure they are still willing and able to donate.Meanwhile I am taking more chemo.I took one day 2 weeks ago and something made me so sick I had to spend 3 days in on strong antibiotics ..I had a reaction to that too....lol This stuff is not fun.I thought I was the picture of health ...guess not.This stuff literally hit me overnight.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
(female)

Winter1967 HB User
Wink has anyone been to Mayo ?

I will be leaving the 7th to mayo in Rochester to get ready for transplant on the 21st.My donor is a international male.They tell me a male is better because they dont have the antibodies us women have especially after pregnancy.So less problems with rejection.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Re: leukemia has relapsed...2nd remission...waiting for transplant

Wishing you the very best of luck, and my thoughts are with you. GOOD LUCK

Old 10-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
(female)

girl1955 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter1967 View Post
I am a 40 yr old female that was diagnosed in 2006 with aml m4..It took 3 sets of weekly chemo and 7 weeks in the hospital to get mine into remission. Mine worried the doctors because it was so hard to beat down.My 5 sisters were typed and not one matched.I decided to try my luck and stay in remission rather than chance a mud transplant.Well,as luck would haveit I relapsed in april.The doctors pulled me in and hit me with more hard chemo and more chemo and finally I have achieved a 2nd remission.I then was sent to Mayo in Rochester and put through a battery of test and they have called me and they have 2 perfect matches.I am waiting for them to call me and tell me to come back.They have to contact the donors and make sure they are still willing and able to donate.Meanwhile I am taking more chemo.I took one day 2 weeks ago and something made me so sick I had to spend 3 days in on strong antibiotics ..I had a reaction to that too....lol This stuff is not fun.I thought I was the picture of health ...guess not.This stuff literally hit me overnight.
In 1999 I was dx with AML, acute onset and fatal unless I checked into the hospital that afternoon; admitted and treated. Returned to work in Feb 2000 until relapse, again acute onset, October 2001 and mini stem cell transplant 2/2002 from a male donor who was a 10 for 10 on the HLA scale but unrelated. I stumbled onto this site today while searching for info on Myositis, a condition I wonder might fit with symptoms I presented with four months after transplant. I had paralyzed legs for a year after my transplant and was on oxygen and in wheelchair.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
(female)

tnt622 HB User

hi winter wishing you are well at the moment and i pray that your transplant
is successful.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #6
(female)

lotsoquestions HB User

Hi, Wondering how you are... I realize this was some time ago in the world of leukemia, but it would be nice to hear things are going well.

We are definately in the wait and wait some more mode right now....

Old 04-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
(female)

mary1977 HB User

how are you doing now? what did you go thru when you first relapsed? why did you ever want more chemo? i am in remission now, and if i relaps, i dont want any more chemo, and i don't want to go to the hospital. i guess what i am trying to say is, i want to live each day to the fullest, and if it happens, i want to be at home with my boyfriend and daughter. i applaude you for going thru two relaps.
mary

Old 04-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
(female)

mary1977 HB User

is a transplant the only way for a complete remission; or cure? i have been told that even with a transplant, you could still relaps. is this true? i am 3 weeks into remission with AML M5. i know that relaps is different with everyone, what are the signs? are they the same as getting it the first time, or do they come back worse?
any answers would be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
(female)

mary1977 HB User

how are you feeling now since all you went thru? hope things are better for you now

Closed Thread