It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

Ryecroft HB User
Ryecroft

I am 50 and was diagnosed with CLL 18 months ago.
I have a blood test every 6 months and my Haemotogist does not seem too concerned at present. She says is need monitoring. I feel very alone with this and panic about ti sometimes. Would love to have some support from someone in a similar situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
(female)

crystalbart HB User
Re: Ryecroft

Hi

I am new here too.

I can't help you really, but I know what waiting feels like.

Maybe you can help me.

I am searching for some advice or suggestions myself. I haven't been diagnosed with anything as yet. I have had blood work done and my white blood cell count is 13 with o.2 neutrophils. My platelets are 134.

Does this mean anything to you? It has been suggested from friends that I have leukaemia. I don't have a lot of faith in my current doctor and don't know any others. I am really scared.

If you have any suggestions I would be pleased to hear them.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2009, 03:56 AM   #3
(female)

Ryecroft HB User

Hello, thanks for replying.
There are other reasons for high w cells like an infection. Are you going to see a haemotologist to find out as I did? I was shocked to find that I have CLL but at present I don't have any symptoms and no treatment but have to keep going for checks and get very nervous. I don't know anything about platelets I'm afraid.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
(female)

CLLer HB User

Hi Ryecroft,
I just wanted to drop you a line of support. I too am 50, but I was diagnosed in 1991. I went through many years of watching and waiting. Then in 2003 I needed treatment. So, while I am not in a totally similar situation I can relate. Hang in there, be kind to yourself (rest, good nutrition, moderate exercise) and read just enough about CLL to be informed, but not enough to totally flip you out! I hope this helps you not feel so lonely.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
(female)

CLLer HB User

Hi crystalbart,
When I was first diagnosed they did it through bloodwork using "DNA flow cytometry". You might ask about that.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:16 AM   #6
(female)

Ryecroft HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLLer View Post
Hi Ryecroft,
I just wanted to drop you a line of support. I too am 50, but I was diagnosed in 1991. I went through many years of watching and waiting. Then in 2003 I needed treatment. So, while I am not in a totally similar situation I can relate. Hang in there, be kind to yourself (rest, good nutrition, moderate exercise) and read just enough about CLL to be informed, but not enough to totally flip you out! I hope this helps you not feel so lonely.
Hello, thanks for replying. You were diagnosed very young then. Sorry to hear that you needed treatment in 2001. Why was that? did you get awful symptoms? What has happened to you since, do let me know. I hate these words 'watch and wait' as it sounds like we will definitely get it, really scares me. Please keep in touch. Hope you are O.K. at present.

Closed Thread