It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
(male)

kasi316 HB User
Is acute lymphoblastic leukemia hereditary?

my wife's mom had Leukemia - ALL , i am worried if this would be hereditary ?
should we take any precautions ?

Old 03-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
(female)

lotsoquestions HB User
Re: Is acute lymphoblastic leukemia hereditary?

I don't think there is much of a link to hereditary causes, but there are links to outside agents causing leukemia.

Even if there was a link, what could you do? Leukemia is a cancer of the blood. You can't get rid of your blood and although a bone marrow transplant can sometimes cure people, it is life threatening itself and would never be considered as a preventitive measure.

The only thing you could do is to watch for any symptoms, although ALL is always either completely there or not there and staging is almost irrelevant.

H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
(male)

houtex54 HB User

ALL is not hereditary. The chromosome mutations characterizing ALL are not in the germ cells, but in the stem cells of the bone marrow. That means the mutation event happened AFTER conception. So it is neither contagious nor hereditary.

The Following User Says Thank You to houtex54 For This Useful Post:
slenderella (09-09-2011)
Old 06-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
(female)

Loud HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasi316 View Post
my wife's mom had Leukemia - ALL , i am worried if this would be hereditary ?
should we take any precautions ?

There IS a possibility of a genetic factor: though how strong it is, I don't know. My daughter had a son with a man who fathered another son previously who developed ALL Leukemia: like my daughter's son did also. I find it very odd that two half brothers should both come down with ALL Leukemia...but maybe it is a coinsidence...Debbie

Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
(male)

wshishak HB User

Basically, no, as the above posters said. I am recently in complete remission from t-cell ALL. However, there is a LOT of cancer (not blood cancers) in my extended family, so that's something I can't just shake. Perhaps there is something that makes one more susceptible to these illnesses that does run in families...

Old 07-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
(male)

joeflood HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtex54 View Post
ALL is not hereditary. The chromosome mutations characterizing ALL are not in the germ cells, but in the stem cells of the bone marrow. That means the mutation event happened AFTER conception. So it is neither contagious nor hereditary.
I dont buy this. I have seen too many cases of ALL running in families, including my own.

For a start, there is a two-mutation theory floating around which says that one mutation occurs before birth, and a second random one after birth which triggers the full condition.

Secondly, no-one really knows what causes mutation or poor cell-copying and it is possible that poor copying of certain kinds might be facilitated by genetic factors.

However - there is absolutely nothing you can do about it so there is not much point in worrying about it any more than meteor strike.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
(female)

mel24141 HB User

I know this post is old but I wanted to respond just incase anyone else is checking it. I don't know about that. The doctors have told me that it is very rare. I personally think that it is a mixture of things. I can tell you that the city we lived in had Contaminated water. Ive done a lot of research and I soooo wished that they could come up with an answer. My 15 year old daughter just relapsed with if after being in remission for 5 years.

Closed Thread