It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
(female)

Avarose HB User
Recently diagnose with AML and need some advice

I was recently diagnosed with AML because for the last month i have been really sick and had severe bruising all over my body and just feeling extremely exhausted. I found out this past friday and now i am on my way to UAB Kirkland center for the start of my chemotherapy. I am not quite sure what i am walking into and not sure what to expect from the chemotherapy any advice someone can give me would be awesome. Also, i havent been advised what to bring with me as far as what to pack. Can someone help me please!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
(female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User
Re: Recently diagnose with AML and need some advice

Hello Avarose. Came across you post, and hope you are still out there? My sister was just diagnosed with the same, and just started her chemo on TUE. She was told she will be in the hospital for a month, and her days will be good, and bad. She was told she would lose her hair, but after the treatment starts to help her, she will feel sooo much better. Can you tell me what you have gone through, even though I know each one of us is so very different. I only hope you are getting better and have had many good days then bad. Take care, and Keep the Faith.... Janatee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
(female)

lovecanada HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janatee View Post
Hello Avarose. Came across you post, and hope you are still out there? My sister was just diagnosed with the same, and just started her chemo on TUE. She was told she will be in the hospital for a month, and her days will be good, and bad. She was told she would lose her hair, but after the treatment starts to help her, she will feel sooo much better. Can you tell me what you have gone through, even though I know each one of us is so very different. I only hope you are getting better and have had many good days then bad. Take care, and Keep the Faith.... Janatee
Janatee my youngest sister was diagnosed with AML 2 weeks ago..she's a doctor herself and the only symptoms she had was a low grade fever. She underwent induction chemotherapy but couldn't complete it as the blood count dropped. She's having fever still and I have never been more scared. I live in Canada and she's in another country. We are the best of friends and the closest siblings...I have never been more scared. She has a 6-yr. old daughter who is confused as to why her mother is in hospital for so long and she cannot visit her as visitors are not allowed. I would appreciate if somebody could let me know something about AML and it's prognosis first hand. I have been on the net 24/7 the last 2 weeks.

Last edited by lovecanada; 06-28-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
(female)

Hello LoveCanada, Sorry to hear about your sister. I know how you are feeling. What I have read, and have been told, AML comes on fast. My sister had problems for 2 years, but it was always something else with the blood. They would always test for Leukemia, but until 2 weeks ago, nothing showed. She has had her first 5 days of Chemo. It was rough, but family and friends are there each day to keep her going. I live in another state and will leave Wed. to head north to be with her. Doc today said the Chemo was working so far and killing the leukemia cells. Her hemoglobin has gotten very low, so they give hera transfusions of blood. Next she will get a transfusion for low platelets. Why can't they do that for you sister, since her blood count is low??? My sister has so many more things she is dealing with, but we keep our faith and put it in the Lords hands. I sure hope you can talk with her doctors to get more info to help ease your fear. Research is good also, even though at times it is very scary. Remember knowledge is power... Keep your prayers for her, and I hope she can beat this in time. Janatee

Old 06-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
(female)

lovecanada HB User

Hi Janatee...thanks for the reply! I have been researching like crazy and since I work in a university I've been talking to people in our cancer institute. My sister has been given blood and platelet transfusion but the fever is persisting. They say it sometimes takes 3-4 weeks for the count to stabilize. Even her AML came on so fast that it seemed unbelievable. My parents, another sister and her sister in law are there so they want me to come after a month or so. I'm praying really hard but have this knot in the pit of my stomach which I know isimmense fear and a feeling of helplessness knowing she's going through so much and I'm doing nothing. I wish the best for your sister too and I hope both of them beat it!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
(female)

Hi lovecanada, The one thing you need to do, is keep those prayers... That is the one thing that has gotten me through this. I will not give up, and tell everyone, NO NEGATIVITY.. You can't go there. The one good thing, I believe is that the AML was discovered early. Its hard to hear my sister on her bad days, crying and just wanting to come home. I can't let myself fall apart for her sake, so I pull myself together, and give her all the encouragement I can mu star. It's hard, very hard. My Mom and dear friend of the family are there with her when they can. Mom is 84 and in better health then both of us. lol lol I am just recovering from a second cervical disc operation now 9 weeks. I have rods, plates, screws, and a cage in the front and back of my neck. I will have to go gently to NJ, with my neck brace, cane and walker. Its the blind leading the blind as they say. We are really 2 sad sacks, but both hope to recover.... I know me being up there will really help her. I know you sister understands your being away, but I'm sure she knows you are there in spirit. All we can do now, is focus on the healing. I also hope they both get well and get their health back. Keep me posted. Chin up...WE can do this together....Janatee

Old 06-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
(female)

lovecanada HB User

Thank you so much Janatee...I finally have somebody I can share this with....you are right prayers are the only thing that get me through...and the thought that my mother (she's 71) is in the hospital with her...my brother in law is a doctor and he's somehow got my mother admitted in the hospital so she's there with her all the time. I try and remain positive most of the time and keep saying to myself we'll beat this!

Closed Thread