It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
(female)

miamama HB User
what to give a friend in hospital

Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
(male)

silverandsand HB User
Re: what to give a friend in hospital

Contrary to popular belief, you shouldn't give flowers to someone in hospital. There's too many potential germs that you could be introducing to someone who's immune system is having a hard enough time as it is. The same goes for uncooked food. You might be thinking you're doing your friend a favour by bringing them their favourite food while in hospital, but unless it's cooked properly, meaning having killed any potential germs in it, then it could do more harm than good.

Time goes by very slowly when you're trapped in hospital, so something to help them pass the time will be appreciated. Perhaps a new book by your friend's favourite author, or maybe some magazines. Maybe some crossword or sudoku puzzle books if they're into that kind of thing. If they like to play cards, maybe you could give them a couple of decks of cards so that might be able to play cards with any visitors that might visit (it can be a little awkward sometimes for visitors when they visit a friend in hospital, and having something like cards could help relax the situation a little).

You could find out if the floor your friend is on has a VHS/DVD player available, and if so, you could bring in your friend's favourite comedy, something to lighten up their day a little.

You could ask them if there's any chores or such that they aren't able to tend to, that you might be able to take care of for them. For example, you could offer to check their letterbox for them so it doesn't start overflowing(you could bring their mail in) or maybe water their garden at home so their plants don't die while they're in hospital.

I hope that gives you some ideas.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
(female)

kathydeang HB User
Re: what to give a friend in hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamama View Post
My favorite gift when I was in for a month was a gift card to a bookstore. I looked up ratings on books, then sent my brother to the store to buy them.

I got a lot of "footie slippers" that looked like socks and I liked those, although I got way to many. They have to have the little plastic dots on bottom so you don't slip or they won't let you wear them. I also got a lot pajamas, which I wore every day. Again, I got way too many.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-24-2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Closed Thread