It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
(female)

faithis HB User
blood test

WBC 12.6 H
MCH 34.0 H
MCHC 35.5 H
MPV 6.8 L
Neutrophil # 10.5 H
Neutrophil # 10.4 H
Segmented Neut % 82.8 H
Segmented Neut 83.0 H
Lymphocyte % 12.4 L
Lymphocyte % 11.0 L
Monocyte % 2.8 L

Can you tell me anything about what these results mean? I will be talking to my doctor soon but the last time I spoke to him after the blood test he didn't even mention the blood test so I just assumed everything turned out normal. I picked up a copy to have for my records and was stumped with I saw the numbers were off because I didn't even have an infection when I had the blood test. I will however see him in a few months and I will ask hime about them then, in the mean time can you help me out.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
(male)

silverandsand HB User
Re: blood test

The MCH (mean corpuscular hemoglobin) and MCHC (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration) are related, and is basically just a measure of how much hemoglobin there is in each red blood cell, and therefore a partial measure of how much oxygen your red blood cells are able to carry.

All of the other stats are related to your white blood cells, which essentially is your immune system.

Your overall white blood cell count (WBC) is a little high, but not majorly. Your neutrophils are high (neutrophilia). Neutrophils go around gobbling up little micro-organisms (eg. pathogens, bacteria) that have found their way into our bodies. The fact that your neutrophil count is high probably just means that at the time of your blood test you were fighting some kind of bacterial infection, which isn't necessarily a big deal, but someone your doctor would want to just keep an eye on. Your doctor will want to compare those neutrophil counts with new ones the next time you see him, just to make sure that your immune system has managed to fight off whatever it's been fighting (just remind him if he/she forgets). The other types of white blood cell counts (lymphocytes and monocytes) are low just in relation to the neutrophil count in terms of combining to equal your overall WBC count.

Last edited by silverandsand; 05-27-2009 at 11:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread