It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
(female)

lorieann33 HB User
wacky blood results and doc said leukemia?????

i recently went to a new doctor...after having not seen one in quite a while. he sent for bloodwork and i was surprised when he called me and said i may have leukemia according to my blood work. i am 38 years old feel fine...dont look sick...just tired. tired alot.

i was wondering if somwone could explain the results of my bloodwork...i'll only list the items that were ut of range"

white blood cell count 15.5h
hemoglobin 8.3L
Hematocrit 28.3 L
mcv 65.6L
absolute neutrophils 11858H
hdl cholestrol 29L
vitamen D 6L

if someone could explain this to me in plain ole english i sure would appreciate it....i'm spending alot of time worrying that something may be wrong...and if there is no need to worry....i wanna know that too.

many thanks

lorieann

Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
(male)

wshishak HB User
Re: wacky blood results and doc said leukemia?????

I think it's premature for the doc to have said leukemia, but you need to follow up. I am recently in complete remission from t cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia / lymphoma. None of my blood counts were abnormal; it was other symptoms that clued them in. High white counts are a sign. Also, low Vit D has been associated with cancer risk, including leukemia. I tested low too, and immediate started 4000+ mg a day supplements. Good luck and let me know if you have questions. I am new to the board and hope to connect with fellow leukemia patients.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

Hi wishishak,

That's great you're in remission! I was wondering though...none of your blood tests were abnormal? How did you get diagnosed? Just curious.

Thanks,
schao

Old 10-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
(male)

wshishak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schao View Post
Hi wishishak,

That's great you're in remission! I was wondering though...none of your blood tests were abnormal? How did you get diagnosed? Just curious.

Thanks,
schao
I had enlarged lymph nodes in my neck that kept growing. They did two biopsies but both were inconclusive. Finally they did a bone marrow biopsy to see if it had spread, and discovered it was leukemia after all. Took a few month though! Do/did you have cancer?

Old 10-30-2009, 04:35 AM   #5
(female)

FatimaM HB User

I've oly recently been diagnosed with chronic pyeloid leukemia. I had the odd ache and pain, but dr thought is was arthritis. I had a high platelet count, but it was only after a pulmonary embolism that I had a bone marrow biopsy and then got a diagnosis of cml. I think the blood results are not enough for a diagnosis.

Closed Thread