It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

alexpgreene HB User
Unhappy Help and advice needed re my 4 year old daughter :(

Hello all,

Im a new member and ive joined because im looking for someone to help me and advise me if they can.

About 10th of september i noticed an area on my 4 year old daughters well near her groin/ public line start to become slightly swollen, now i wasnt 100% sure on this at the time as this area can look quite fatty anyway. Over a period of 7 days the area progressed rapidly and became a large very sore lump that was red. on the 20th of septemeber we rushed her into A&E at our local hospital where a variety of doctors examined her, one said it was an absess and she would be sent home with antibiotics another said it was a herna and she was admitted about 5 hours later for an operation for a herna.

They later that night stated it wasnt a herna and the thought again it was an absess resulting in swollen lymph node they were convinced it didnt need surgical attention but they began her on IV antibiotics they took bloods also.

Bloods came back white cells high everything else was normal. They continued at this stage with IV antibiotics only. They did a scan on the area which was very very painful for her and it took 3 staff to hold her down while that did it, very upsetting for me also. Still according to this it didnt need surgical attention.

They repeated the scan 2 days later (whole time we are admitted into the hospital) and again the scan was too painful for her so they scheduled at CT scan.

The CT scan revealed she did require surgical attention as an amount of fluid had gathered within this area that needed to be drained the CT scan also revealed a swelling on the left groin area that may also need attention at some point. The CT scan showed every lymph node in that area as swollen.

My daughter had surgery the next day (6 days after being admitted) The area was drained and the fluid sent away for tests. The wound was left unclosed but dressed. The wound was 2 inches wide and quite deep. (right groin area) She was discharged 2 days later. The fluid results were clear of infection.

Having had a 10 day course of 2 lots of antibiotics and the operation still the opposite side came up and she had another operation on the 4th october and had the left side also drained and fluid sent off and the node removed for 3 tests, 1 bacteria, 2 tb and 3 histology. Again more bloods, white cells high. My daughter had gone from 25/9/09 being 17.16kg to 4/10/09 16.5kg.
The second opening was 2inches wide but more deep then the first, she now has 2 dressings either side covering 2 open wounds.

On the 7/10/09 she had another operation to check the deepness of the wound and re clean it, im not sure why but i feel the surgeon felt it may of been deeper because of the node removal and may need a few stitches to aid the healing process. However they were happy with it and they just cleaned and redressed.
The node results and fluid again im told is clear and normal results.

My daughter sees the district nurse x2 per week for dressings change and her surgeon x1 per week for update.

On taking her 12/10/09 to see the nurse, i could see for myself and so could she that a third swollen area is now coming up under her new wound! Now it cannot be same area as the node was removed so it has to be a new node now appearing in the same way as the other 2.

She is seeing the nurse again friday and the surgeon monday but im very very concerned about my child and my own gp and even her surgeon have said its unusual, rare and to be honest neither have ever seen it twice in that area on a child and now its happening again for the third time!!

Can anyone please give me some advice, my daughters been very very well though this whole process, never had temperature no sickness etc, all she gets sometimes is a runny nose. The surgeon seems to say they think its a viral infection that has to run its cause but surely they cant keep operating on a child shes had 3 ops within 18 days!!
My mum spoke to me about leukemia and lymphoma but im not sure how they test for this if the node biopsy would show this in histology??

Someone please help me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
(female)

AngelicBreeze HB User
Re: Help and advice needed re my 4 year old daughter :(

ask your doctor about hydradenitus suprative (suprativa) its a condition where small abssesses cause a tunnel effect, it can go on for a long time and it very painful, Good luck and my prayers are with your family, btw warm baths help some when it gets to be too much

Closed Thread