It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
(female)

rickyz HB User
bone marrow donor smoke cannabis- help??

Hello everybody,

I'm just looking for any advice or any answers people can offer please- its a pretty desperate situation and i don't really know what to do:

My youngest brother has leukemia, he has t-cell all- he was diagnosed about 5 months ago and his chemo treatment did not go well at all. so instead of carrying on with chemo as would normally happen, the doctors have decided to go ahead with a bone marrow transplant.
Me and all my brothers and sisters were tested and it came back that me and my 19year old brther were both a match. However, i live in london and my family in manchester- and even though i'd be more than willing to be at home and act as donor the doctor decided they would use my brother so as not to disrupt my studies, make it difficult etc.

I'm fine with that as long as my youngest brother gets what he needs, however the problem is my 19 year old brother (the donor) smokes cannabis. he has done for years, and we thought when he found out he was to be the donor and we would go ahead with this in a couple of weeks he would put a stop to it for a while- however he has not. he continues to smoke cannbis daily and we are all very worried.

so the question is, can this have an affect on my brother with leukemia? can it make him ill, or even kill him as he has had many infections/reactions during his treatment do far and reacts to almost everything e.g blood transfusions/platelets- he was in icu not long ago and is only just pulling round?

me and my sisters are worried and want to know if we should speak to the doctor about it, or whether they will already know this from the blood work that he smokes cannabis and have decided to ignore it and go ahead anyway?

even if there is a slightest chance it could affect my little brother

please help with any advice or knowledge anybody has as i'm a little lost as to who to turn to without bringing it up and upsetting everybody before knowing the full affect as they already have so much to deal with

thank you,

ricky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
(female)

AlicenWonderlan HB User
Re: bone marrow donor smoke cannabis- help??

I'm not doctor but i don't see how it would hurt your little brother but to be on the safe side i would call the doctor and let him know. I'm sorry to hear that your little brother has to go through all of this and he deserves the best care possible

Closed Thread