HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Leukemia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/leukemia/)
-   -   Am I being paranoid? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/leukemia/721861-am-i-being-paranoid.html)

Pamela Anne 11-10-2009 04:34 PM

Am I being paranoid?

I was told by a doctor in emerg awhile back that I had unusually high white blood cells. I was there for severe lower back pain and nothing was mentioned again about my white cells. I have terrible sweats day and night. Not just hot flashes, I mean full blown sweats. I thought it was still menopause.( I have had it for 9 years). I am bloated most of the time , i have muscle pain and joint aches. I really hadn't given any of this a second thought until my husband mentioned an athlete who found ou this sweating symptons turned out to be leukemia.

I don't want to go to the doctors and find out I am just over reacting to menopause.
Anyone have any imput for me?
Pam

TopGeek 11-11-2009 11:43 AM

Re: Am I being paranoid?

Not really because there are several things that can cause the symptoms you describe. It's quite possible that it is still menopause related. The high WBC is more likely to have been due to an infection. Even the common cold can cause your WBC to rise.
On the other hand, your doctor would not be concerned about you asking for reassurance.

Grammie02 11-11-2009 12:24 PM

Hi Pam.

I was told yrs ago I had an over abundance of white blood cells.. I have the exact same symtoms as you.. joint pain, muscle aches, swelling, lower back problems do to a strain. They tell me its artharitis.

My husband was told he had more white blood cells just last week. Dr advised him he was fine!

:angel:

cody48 11-14-2009 08:30 AM

Pamela Ann, interested to read your post. I discovered that I had an elevated white blood count when I went in for my yearly gyn check-up. I had no idea!!! I have had a couple of cold/sinus problems not too long before this appt. and also discovered that I had a yeast infection. After getting home I started worrying about the elevated WHC and remembered that my hot flashes that had ALMOST gone away had come back. Not bad but sometimes throughout the day and then I read that these were symptoms of leukemia. I've been told that the sinus problems and/or yeast infections could have caused the problem. My OB/GYN said nothing at all about it. I am worried though. I have a check-up the first of Jan and will ask my PCP to check it out.

Grammie02 11-15-2009 05:34 AM

Hi....
I'm glad to hear your going to have this checked out once again... If you also google menopause, it to can start at a very early age.. and sugar will trigger it. I cannot drink soda, Candy, etc as it will trigger my flashes. I hve always since I was a young girl had an over abundance of wbc my doc said, its not a bad thing, white blood cells helps fight off infections etc. This is what I was told.. I usually don't catch the flu or colds like others do. So... I am happy!!

You take care,
keep me posted!
God Bless