It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

Mindy313 HB User
Smile New Here! Please Help! Scared

Hi All,
I am new here and would like to ask a few questions? I am 24 years old, Mother of a beautiful 2 year old daughter and I have a step son and daughter who are 9 and 6.These kids and my husband are my world. In September I got really sick with a sinus infection(had these before) and a ear infection. Then I had some kind of stomach flu where I couldn't hold anything down and had diarrhea for about a week. My white count went up to 18 but has since gone back to normal and all my other blood was perfect including vitamins and liver enzymes, inflammation and kidney function. However one of the ER doctors sent for a bunch of tests, Chest x-ray abdominal ultrasound and lots of blood work for HEP A,B, and C and AIDS. All was negative except I had a slightly enlarged spleen. I went for another ultrasound of my pelvis which was normal and then a follow up of my abdomen which showed my spleen had went from 14.5 cm to 15.1 cm. I have since been put on anxiety meds because I was having bad anxiety freaking out a lot and running to the ER every other day. My doctor has referred me to see a hematologists because of my spleen and I am really scared. What should I expect? Did anyone else have an experience like this? Also because of the anxiety I have all kinds of symptoms, racing heart on which I have had 3 EKGs show normal, shortness of breath but when I take an ativan that helps. I work as a CCA and am scared to lift on the residents because I am scared my spleen may rupture. Any suggestions or personal stories would help.

Thanks Mindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
(male)

abussa HB User
Re: New Here! Please Help! Scared

Mindy,

I am no expert on this but I think that many conditions (most are bengin) would cause your symptoms and leukemia would be the least likely cause. Following up with a hematologist would be the right next step though and I think it will help put your mind at ease. Hematologist are blood Dr's and are very knowledgable and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I think your hematologist will go over all your results and record all your symptoms as well as do a physical exam, blood works etc.

I would sugest you take all your resutls, lab works, scans, etc for your appointement with the hematologist. Hope you do not have to wait long for your appt.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
(female)

Mindy313 HB User

Thank You so much for your quick reply. I really appreciate it and will let you know how I make out.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
(female)

susie 62 HB User

Hi Mindy: The fact that your White Count came back down is good, but seeing a Hematologist is the best move right now. There is a reason for the Spleen enlargement, but it has to be checked out. He may want to run some other tests on you to rule out different possibility's Take one step at a time. I wish you a very good outcome to all this. Please post back when you get to the bottom of it all.
Susie 62

Old 01-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
(female)

Memy HB User

Hello Mindy,
I am a newbie here, Memy, 60 y/o. I have an enlarged spleen DUE to a blood cancer (dx'd in '02) called polycythemia vera in which my bone marrow over produces red blood cells. Your best bet as someone else has suggested here is to consult with a hematologist and have him/her run a CBC blood test on you and go from the results of that.
Happy trails and best wishes, memy

Closed Thread