It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User
Hi All

Hi all gotta question..

My mom has Leukemia, I think it is the CLL...it's the long lasting one. She was diagnosed 9 years ago with it at the age of 59.

She is doing well thank god. No need to go on any meds for it at this time. He blood cell count has been going up every year though.

I was wondering if Leukemia could be hereditary? The thing is my grandmother (my moms mother) dies of Leukemia 1-year after finding out she had it. My Great Grandmother ( my mohters grandmother) also diesd of it within 1 month of finding out. I was actualy 13 when my great grandmother died. Also, my great aunt (my mothers aunt) died of it too!

Is there some sort of gene that we can be carrying regarding this? I am 44 and get blood work actualy done every 2 months due to meds I am on for Fibromyalgia and Arthritic issues, as well as I get my yearly check up with blood work too. The only thing that ever came back funny was a Liver Enzine test, which went back to normal a month laster and a ESR test came back high, but 2 months later was also back to normal.

Has anyone ever heard of this cancer being hereditary?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: Hi All

I was falsely diagnosed with LGL leukemia (a sub-division of CLL) 8 years ago so I have done a lot of research on this relatively rare condition. In general, the haematologists says that leukemia is not hereditary. However, they also say that there is the possibility of a genetic factor that makes it slightly more likely for direct relatives to develop the disease. With your family history, it seems that you would be well advised to have regular blood tests in order to identify any changes that could lead to leukemia.
It would probably be a good idea to visit a haematologist or oncologist who could explain the situation more comprehensively.
Fortunately for me, I was recently referred to a haematologist for an entirely different reason and, after extensive tests, he was able to re-assure me that my diagnosis was incorrect.

Last edited by TopGeek; 01-26-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: detail

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread