It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

indigobird HB User
Exclamation new to this... please help?

hello everyone...

i am a 25 year old female. i've been experiencing chronic nausea, stomach pain, and swollen glands for over a year. I am often ill with some viral type infection (cold, flu, etc), and always feeling a bit tired. I am mildly iron deficient anemic, so bruising easily and such is normal.

I finally spoke with my doctor about the persistent swollen glands, and apparently it's a problem (I wasn't really aware).

After thinking about it, I am not really sure that my glands 'hurt', they are just bothersome/irritating and very swollen (about 2" in diameter)... if that makes sense! I can feel them when I move my head or lay down on my side. They become sore if I poke at them, but I try not to!

Also, I am always experiencing a dull pain... Always asking my boyfriend to massage my legs, knees, ankles, feet, and elbows. I had a CBC done, and everything was normal except my 'lymphocytes' which were elevated.

My question is... could this be some type of Leukemia? I haven't lost any weight at all over this past year, I've just stayed at my usual weight, which is neither over or underweight (145lbs, 5'10"). It seems if I had something like Leukemia, I should be dropping weight? Also, how could I have Leukemia for over a year and still be relatively healthy on some days? Thank you for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: new to this... please help?

A high lymphocyte count together with swollen glands is an indication of an infection. There would be other blood abnormalities if it was leukemia. What does your doctor mean when he says it's a problem? Is he carrying out other tests? Did he not tell you what kind of problem?
You really need to ask him those questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
(female)

indigobird HB User

Thank you kindly for the reply.

No, my doctor hasn't really mentioned why it's an issue or what the problem could be. I don't have medical insurance, so I end up at the local clinic for the poor (unfortunate, but true).

She has said that my spleen is also enlarged. But, no more testing has been ordered... mainly because I can't afford it.

If it were an infection, what could it be? I had mono twice in 2 years, if that could be causing this?? Once in the summer of 2008, and again this summer of 2009.

Thanks again.

Last edited by indigobird; 01-29-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

Enlarged spleen and swollen glands are typical symptoms of mono (glandular fever in Europe)and it is quite possible that the virus is still lingering in your system. This could be due to your lifestyle, especially if you are not eating healthily. It seems even more unlikely that you should worry about leukemia.
You really should seek some treatment before this develops into something serious.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
(female)

indigobird HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGeek View Post
Enlarged spleen and swollen glands are typical symptoms of mono (glandular fever in Europe)and it is quite possible that the virus is still lingering in your system. This could be due to your lifestyle, especially if you are not eating healthily. It seems even more unlikely that you should worry about leukemia.
You really should seek some treatment before this develops into something serious.
oh thank you! i feel much better about this now, not as worried. i have an appointment with my doctor on wednesday... hopefull we will figure this out.

thank you!

Last edited by indigobird; 01-31-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Closed Thread