It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

Singergirl HB User
symptoms??

Can anyone tell me some general symptoms to look out for that might mean that someone has leukemia?

Old 04-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
(female)

mary1977 HB User
Re: symptoms??

Hi
My name is Mary, and I have AML, currently in remission. The signs to look out for is One big thing; Fatigue. As the disease got worse, I was sleeping 20 hrs. out of 24. Shortness of breath, hard to walk from one room to the other; very easy brusing, pain in my left ankle, shoulder pain, little red raised dots all over my legs and body.
Your blood counts will go down drastically, therefore leading up to infections that do not go away. You get very sick, and your heart rate goes up quickly even if you do not do alot. You also get very dizzy, equililberium is quite off.
Call your doctor if you think you have experienced any of these.
Hope this helps
Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
(female)

Singergirl HB User

Thank you! That really helps.
I've been experiencing most of these symptoms and some others and I would really like to be checked out by a doctor. But i'm only 15 so i cant go on my own. How do I ask/talk to my parents about this?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
(female)

mookylie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singergirl View Post
Can anyone tell me some general symptoms to look out for that might mean that someone has leukemia?
My son has just been diagnosed with leukaemia.
he didnt really complain, but I noticed he was tired.
he complained mostly about bad headaches (low blood count), and tummy pains. the day I took him to the doctor was because he was very very pale, with dark circles under his eyes, and terrible headaches. a blood test is needed.
tell your parents how you are feeling (symptoms), and ask them to take you to the doctor to get checked out. you can ask the doctor to do a blood test (F.B.C etc), which any good doctor would request anyway. Good Luck, and dont be afraid to ask questions when it comes to your health.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
(female)

chessypuff101 HB User

The previous answers to this question are correct.
However, sometimes leukaemia patients (particularly chronic leukaemia, which is rare for teenagers, but nonetheless possible) do not experience any symptoms! The disease is often picked up during a routine blood test.
If you have any concerns, see your doctor.

I understand the issue with your age - I have exactly the same issue, but with a worry about Lymphoma. You mentioned that you had experienced symptoms - just tell your parents about these symptoms, and say you want to go to a doctor just to make sure everything's okay with it.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
(male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User

I agree with Mari but i had my Leukemia when i was 5 years old and im 34 now.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
(female)

linda48170 HB User

Symptoms? I had no real symptoms for AML. The drs thought it was pneumonia. I was in great pain and could not breathe. After almost 2 weeks in the hospital being treated with all antibiotics available to no avail, they finally did a lung biopsy. They found leukemia in my lungs making them bleed. The subsequent chemo was a godsend. As the chemo started working, the pain subsided. After a total of 40 days in the hospital, I finally went home. My bone maro biopsy was clear so I have to do only 20 more days of chemo in the hospital. I will do it 5 days at a time for each of the next 4 months. The future is unknown.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
(female)

codymax HB User

Extreme fatigue, fever, flulike symptoms, a rash, low red blood cell count. If you think you have leukemia, time is critical. My husband discovered it basically when it was too far gone.

Closed Thread