HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Leukemia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/leukemia/)
-   -   could this be leukemia? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/leukemia/746384-could-leukemia.html)

scaredscared 04-26-2010 03:33 PM

could this be leukemia?

I have been experiencing some weird symptoms lately and am wondering what it could be.

A few months ago, I got a tonsil infection that did not respond to antibiotics and took about 2 weeks to go away on its own.

For the last two months I have had a cough that won't quite go away. Also over the last month, I have had 5-6 canker sores, which I occasionally get but never that often. Finally, this week, I noticed I had a some white spots on the side of my tongue that could be either oral thrush or hairy leukoplakia.

With all these infections, I'm wondering if I might have leukemia.

The doctor gave me a z-pack for the cough and an antifungal for the spots on my tongue. He didn't seem concerned but sent me for blood work just in case.

How concerned should I be?

scaredscared 04-27-2010 11:19 AM

Re: could this be leukemia?

Any input? Please.

TopGeek 04-27-2010 02:57 PM

It's too early to be worrying about leukemia. Wait for the blood tests and even then it would take more tests to be sure. It is far more likely to be some other condition that is treatable.
Good luck. I hope the test results are reassuring.

scaredscared 05-06-2010 05:19 PM

Blood test results came be fine according to my doctor.

Does this mean I certainly don't have leukemia? Would something definitely be off with my CBC if I did?

Just asking because my symptoms persist and the zpack has done nothing.

scaredscared 05-08-2010 11:38 AM

Could anyone help?

TopGeek 05-09-2010 04:16 AM

[QUOTE=scaredscared;4240817]Blood test results came be fine according to my doctor.

Does this mean I certainly don't have leukemia? Would something definitely be off with my CBC if I did?

Just asking because my symptoms persist and the zpack has done nothing.[/QUOTE]

If your doctor did specify a blood analysis that specifically looked for markers of leukemia then you can rest assured that you do not have it. Logically, that is what he/she would do. Did you ask for that or mention to your doctor that you were worried about the possibility of leukemia?

scaredscared 05-10-2010 05:30 AM

I didn't think of leukemia as a possibility until after the blood test, so I did not mention it to him.

From what I remember, the presecription had CBC and two other things listed on it. I couldn't quite read the two others, though. Would a typical CBC pick up abnormalities caused by leukemia or would he have had to specificy to test for them?

Thanks again.

TopGeek 05-10-2010 11:10 AM

Any doctor running a blood test against the symptoms you described would be considering leukemia as a possibility and probably without mentioning it to you to avoid panic. So, logically yes, it would have been checked. Still, why not make a call to the doctor's office just to be sure?