18 mo, leukemia?
I am posting this out of concern for my 18 month old nephew.
HE's had what I concisder (but, FYI, I'm sort of a bit on the hypochondriac, anxious, paranoid side) some alarming symptoms
1. he woke up one morning last week with some dried up blood on his face
(assuming a bloody nose had occurred while sleeping/in crib)
2. he has had a constant/near constant running nose for about 3 weeks now
3. he's had an on and off again fever for the same amount of time...3 weeks...tht can be controlled by tylenol.
The running nose/fever is not an EVERY DAY thing....it gets "better" for a day or a few, and then next thing I know, i ask my sister and "it's back again"
4. He seems "thinner" a BIT....it's hard to say, though, but it seems he's lost a bit of weight. also observed that on those fevery/running nose days, he has no desire to eat (well, go figure, he's ill)
On days he feels/acts well, he eats just fine/heatlhy
5. Has had what was first diagnosed 2 weeks ago as HIVES (went to urgent care, told "viral infection" and that could be cause as he also at this time had that running nose/fever I speak of above) and given a steroid medication.
HE takes the steroid, the hives go away.
Sis calls TODAY, hives are back.
She's getting WORRIED....and quite frankly, so am I.
I INSISTED she got his blod drawn aSAP.
thoughts? any other ideas as to what this can be? what would you do as his parent?
Shoot me stright, please, and be honest.
Re: 18 mo, leukemia?
it is good that you are worried and care. i think the best anyone can do in this situation is seek medical help. if your or your sister doubt the doctors decision etc then demand a second oppion so that your mind will be at ease. it is harder when they are young as they can not tell you what is wrong, so it falls on us as parents.
ill be honest... i had leukemia when i was 3/4years old, my mum was called a hypocondract ( or however its spelt lol), but she insisted a second oppion, and finaly i was diagnosed. I don't think that is what your nephew has but you should both be strong and satisfied with your doctors and if you are not...tell them, be strong. I know a few young children as i work in a nursery, that sufffer nose bleeds a lot and any knock to the head, even small can set it off agian, but since he has a fever, it could be unrealted or realated. if the fever goes awa, and the noes bleeds continue i would say that it is probley just a children prone to noes bleeds. i wish you all the best and please try not to worrie, i hope i haven't caused panic, it could be viral as the doctor has said. Good luck to you and your sister and nephew X
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:41 PM.|