It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

catiek89 HB User
Was gone within 5 days!

6 weeks ago my 16 year old brother died of ALL Leukaemia. He fought a very short battle. He was diagnosed with glandular fever two weeks prior, blood tests were taken as our family has a fairly bleak history, these results came back clear. He woke up one morning, shower and sometime between the bathroom and his bedroom he suffered a stroke, it paralysed the entire left side of his body. Doctors said that children simply do not have strokes in that spot, they also said that as far as adult strokes go it is relatively common, but kills them instantly. He was airlifted to Sydney Childrenís Hospital on Friday after a bone marrow test showed that he had Leukaemia. He was struggling to move and talk but was still the same beautiful kid. We took him into brain surgery to remove the clot. He was to wake up the next morning. He didnít, after waiting for him to wake he was taken in for another MRI. The damage had worsened overnight. He had several more strokes and now was completely paralysed. The heart breaking part was he could hear and comphrend everything that was happening. We could not start chemo because of the blood thinners he was one. He went into surgery again the next night to remove yet another lot of clots. By the next day he was completely brain dead. He died shortly after on the Wednesday after only one round of chemo his white blood cell count went from 59 down to 23.
My question is, does anyone else know of anything like this to happen so quickly. The neurologist and oncologists could not explain it. We are still waiting on an autopsy results.
He was the most beautiful kid in the world, and he was taken not only too young but way too fast. I feel that he didnít even get a fighting chance. And with stats of 80% survival, we never doubted that he wouldnít come out again. Especially not gone within 5 heartbreaking days.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: catiek89
bubblegirl (05-31-2011), secretgarden (06-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB Userbubblegirl HB User
Re: Was gone within 5 days!

I cant say why this happened because I have no idea, but I just need to say that I'm so sorry it did! What a tragedy for this horrible thing to happen to one so young with a whole life ahead of him! My heartfelt sympathy goes to you & your family. I hope that you can find some answers soon- it wont bring him back, but may give you some peace of mind.

Closed Thread