It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

secretgarden HB User
Smile Bone marrow biopsy and aspiration...

Just an update: I had my bone marrow biopsy today and aspiration. I wanted to encourage anyone who also may be having this done soon. I was kinda stressing about having it done, but everything really went well and it was not as bad as I thought it would be. IV went in first try (: they gave me a sedative to relax me (I was feeling good) lol took me into the surgical room and gave me the IV sedation (milk of amnesia) and bam I was out like a light!... I woke up in the recovery room and was wide awake after that...took a short nap when I got home and a Vicadine and I'm feeling fine. My hip is sore, but the Vicadine helps. If you have the choice go the IV sedation route and ask for some pain meds so you can have them at home if you need to take them. I misunderstood my hematologist he is looking for CML and CLL. Prayerfully when I get my results back in two weeks nothing will show up. Anyways I just wanted to help someone out there who may be really stressing about having the bone marrow biopsy and aspiration. God bless<3

The following user gives a hug of support to secretgarden:
slenderella (10-01-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
(female)

secretgarden HB User
Re: Bone marrow biopsy and aspiration...

I wanted to add that I have had these symptoms for months now. Lack of energy, very tiered, elevated WBC, pain in my joints, body aches (like when you have the flu) my temp fluctuates and I get alot of Infections.. it seems like I'm always on antibiotics. Sometimes my body will shake (like when you have a chill) but I'm not cold.. also I'm very pale with dark circles under my eyes. I also have a thyroid problem, they can't seem to get it regulated with Synthroid.. I'm hypo and then I go hyper. My levels yo yo... I personally believe there is a link to a high WBC when you have a unregulated Thyroid. (even though I was told the Thyroid has nothing to do with the white count) I believe it does. When I go Hypo my white count lowers, when I go hyper my white count rises. I was just wondering if anyone out there had any of these symptoms and also has a unregulated Thyroid?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
(female)

bixa525 HB User

I am wondering where you live that they offer you sedation to perform the bone marrow biopsy? I believe I am looking at having to get one of these in the near future and the way some have described the pain while under no sedation has me scared to death! I would love the option of being put under for the time it takes to perform the biopsy and aspiration.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
(female)

bestoldies04 HB Userbestoldies04 HB User

Thanks for posting about your bone marrow biopsy. I am scheduled in about two weeks to have it done. They are not putting me to sleep, and I am terrified about having it done. The doctor did give me a sedative to take one hour before the procedure and he said they would numb the area. But from what I had heard from people that had it done it was not a pleasant thing to go through. My mom had it done and she was not one to complain about anything, she said it was very rough. Hopefully my experience will be like yours and I will have more positive things to say afterwards.

The following user gives a hug of support to bestoldies04:
vgdapples (10-05-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to bestoldies04 For This Useful Post:
vgdapples (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
(female)

vgdapples HB User

Hi, secret gardens: I have Waldenstroms and underwent this procedure on 7-18-11 to confirm the diagnosis.

Not a pleasant procedure. You must lie on your side - perfectly still - the PA will use Lidocaine to deaen the area - the numbing is really fast.

A long needle is inserted thru the bone and bone marrow and fluid is retrieved.

Takes only about 10 minutes. Worst part is going into the bone, because the bone cannot be deadened and then when the needle is removed is quite painful

vgdapples

Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
(female)

I canceled the bone marrow procedure for now. I have so much going on I just could not handle the stress of thinking about this test and going through it.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
(male)

denvercurt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestoldies View Post
I canceled the bone marrow procedure for now. I have so much going on I just could not handle the stress of thinking about this test and going through it.
Don't sweat the BMA. I have had 13 of them with no sedation, and it's not that bad. You can count on 5 min. of pain then it's over. Choosing sedation makes it a 4 hour ordeal.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I am very sorry to hear this, Best. My father was also too frightened to have the aspiration and died in August. I often wonder if his treatment would have been different and his life, longer, had he found out sooner what was the matter. I would hate for that to be true for you as well.

blessings, Sue (I hope you will reconsider...this is your LIFE we're talking about!)

Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
(female)

I guest I should have explained just a little more. I have Lung, Kidney, and Heart disease, Osteoarthritis, Scoleosis, Osteopenia, Myopathy and either MGUS or Multiple Myeloma. Some times you just say I have had enough. My mom died of Multiple Myeloma in 2009. Thanks for expressing your concern, it is very much appreciated. Have a blessed week.

Closed Thread